Huggies Forum

Over reacting or Reasonable? Rss

Yes old member but dont want to risk someone in real life knowing. Ok so two of our good friends are getting married, My partner is best man. We rarely have the chance to have a night out alone (kid free) they know that we organised a sitter for our kids and I have just found out that I have been seated at the kids table and I am disappointed to say the least. Here I was hoping to be able to have some adult conversation, enjoy my night without kids. There is only another 4 people I really know going (other than bridal party) that I was originally told I would be seated with and now they are all at another table together. There is a column between me and them so I wont even see them. Now Ive had a big emotional week and maybe that is influencing me. But I just dont understand why tell me one thing and then do another. I mean it would have been nice to have been told the truth and atleast been warned that I would be chaperoning other peoples kids.
I know I will just have to suck it up and deal with it. So am I over reacting being disappointed and upset?
I think that's a little rough to be honest. It's as though they are happy to let you act as babysitter for the evening because your bloke is in the bridal party.

Yes it is the bride's special day. Yes hopefully all will go well for her. But yes you should say something, sooner rather than later.

If I were in your position I would be devastated and to be honest it would be something that would make me reconsider going at all. I don't think you are being too sensitive or emotional about it either. I don't know anyone who when put in the same position wouldn't be upset about it.

Best of luck, let us know how you go smile
I agree with pp and would be upset about it too. I would reconsider going. Good luck with it smile
I would be upset for sure. I wouldnt want to be on a kids table unless my own child is there. Definately say something, maybe they thought you wouldnt mind, so by saying something they might be able to change you to another table. If you dont want to say anything, maybe get hubby to do it for you?? GL
I don't think i would go, that would make me very uncomfortable! I have never actually heard of that happening at a wedding - all the weddings we have been to that we brought our kids to we looked after them ourselves at the table we were seated at - why the heck can't they all look after their own kids? Completely unfair, unless they are paying you...

kerrie, VIC, DD 12/8/03, DD 12/10/05, DD 14/9/07, DD 4/1/10

I would say i didn't want to do that, in fact if it came down to it i am stubbon enought to just go for the dance........

surely there is a place for you at another table..... You could always get up and move once people have got seated people don't always stay in their seats do they?
Im probably the same.. the last thing i want to do on a night out is to be sat at a table with other kids when I have had mine looked after for the night! Its the last thing you would want to do..

Id be saying something to the couple involved if you can without causing offence.
I wouldnt go...how horrible!! Its rude of them to invite you and then seat you at the childrens table to watch other people's kids..Maybe get your partner to say something? If he is good friends with the groom it might be easier then trying to talk to a stressed out bride..
I guess its good to know Im not over reacting. Sadly there isnt enough time to say anything not that I think I could Im not one to rock the apple cart. Although my partner did give the bride a filthy look when he was standing at the table looking at the seating arrangement and shook his head at her. Not turning up isnt really an option even though thats how I feel, We have paid for accomadation onsite for the night and I am driving several guests to the wedding. I guess I will just have to piss it up.
I would be devastated. The last wedding I was at, hubby was groomsman and I sat with another friend who's partner was also a groomsman. We both knew a couple if over people but we weren't seated with them. It really was a let down and whilst I was seated with a friend we had travelled to the wedding together and we were staying together so it would have been nice to chat to other people we knew.

I did have a massive melt down (pregnancy related) the next day when I realized that me and hubby would not get any time together to look around area (we were staying in hunter without DS1). Hubby had agreed to return tux over an hour out of our way. Would have been fine but MIL had not told us til morning that we had to be back by lunch. We tried to get our friends to return suits so we could have an hour to look around by ourselves. Our friends didn't want to take them back as they wanted to go to a winery despite them not having to be back home by a certain time. People without kids don't realize how rare time away from your kids is and the expectations you have of that time. I cried all the way to the suit shop because I was preggers, we had spent money on going away but not spent time together and I was having a baby in 6 weeks it felt like the last chance for ages to spend time alone.

Yes old member but dont want to risk someone in real life knowing. Ok so two of our good friends are getting married, My partner is best man. We rarely have the chance to have a night out alone (kid free) they know that we organised a sitter for our kids and I have just found out that I have been seated at the kids table and I am disappointed to say the least. Here I was hoping to be able to have some adult conversation, enjoy my night without kids. There is only another 4 people I really know going (other than bridal party) that I was originally told I would be seated with and now they are all at another table together. There is a column between me and them so I wont even see them. Now Ive had a big emotional week and maybe that is influencing me. But I just dont understand why tell me one thing and then do another. I mean it would have been nice to have been told the truth and atleast been warned that I would be chaperoning other peoples kids.
I know I will just have to suck it up and deal with it. So am I over reacting being disappointed and upset?

You know what, that is really unfair and TBH I think very rude of your friends. You have gone to the trouble of getting a babysitter for YOUR children so you can have a good time, why should you be seated with, and clearly expected to take care of to some degree, other people's children!!

I know it's all supposed to be about the wedding couple, etc, but I'd try to find a way to voice your disappointment that you got a babysitter, only to be expected to BE the babysitter for everyone else's kids. And as soon as you possibly can, drag your chair over & sit with your friends!!
That is insulting!

I would only be seated at the table for meals! You are not the babysitter and it should not be implied that you are!

Parents should be responsible for their own kids, Can you have a chat to the bride? Perhaps the parents of the children should be on the table?
Sign in to follow this topic