Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

I am * off tonight!!!!!!!!!!! Lock Rss

unsure I applied for a child care subsity and received letters today saying we are not getting them because we apparently earn to much money..... really pissed off about this because they have taken into consideration the fact that we get full medical insurance and a company truck which my husband uses for work.

I also work parttime..... but they told me that if I wasn't working i would be intitalled to 50 hours a week per child???? blink huh because if i was a stay at home mum i am allowed some time out for myself and also because i have a high needs older child i could also put him into care after school if i wanted to? roll eyes unsure

I am peeved because Apparently now because i am a pre school teacher who trained for 3 years plus 2 reg, there is no point in working because after paying for childcare for two children and petrol etc i am only making $100 a week ..... but to stay at home they will give me more money and over 12 hours a day child care sub? where is the bloody logic in that?

anyway my first peeved post hope you enjoyed it ~
wow maybe you should just give up work and let the government support you as thats the way they seem to want it. In Australia I think its the other way around and working mums are entitled to more childcare hours.

wow maybe you should just give up work and let the government support you as thats the way they seem to want it. In Australia I think its the other way around and working mums are entitled to more childcare hours.

yeah and have them in 50hours a week, i don't think the pre school is open fifty hours a week, i was also allowed this when i had my baby because of c section and high needs child my daughter went 4 mornings a week because basically she was bored at home and after c section i wasn't home for a couple of weeks and she was with grandparents .... but really who wants there kiddies in day care 50hours a week,,,,,, sometimes you think it would be a nice idea but really>? roll eyes blink
I would be ringing back and getting a second opinion. I work 3 days and i am only entitled to have 36 hours care subsidised as they go on how many days i work. I cant see how they would give you 50 hours if you werent working. That doesnt sound right. Secondly 50 hours is counted as 12 hour days so really only 4 days would be subsidised iykwim. And lastly you are entitled to the 50% rebate each quarter (im sure it isnt income tested, you just have to have a dual income or be studying)so if you are paying approx $250 a week per child you will get $125 of that back each quarter (and ive heard its changing to fortnightly) so it may still be worth returning to work.
But yes i would maybe ring back and find out excatly how that all works regarding getting 50hrs care if you dont work, that is beyond silly.
It stinks!!!

I've been looking into this here in Aus. And I have found that the Child Care Benefit *! It's means tested which is cool, but for sending my DD to day care I am only entitled to a $4 discount for every day that she goes! If I was working full time I'd get nothing because apparently my husband and I earn too much. I don't get the Family Tax Benefit either for the same reason. Lucky I have my mother to help look after her a few days a week otherwise there'd be no point in going to work.

I wouldn't even be able to quit work and live on the dole cos my husband still earns too much! lol.

I see these clients of mine popping out babies and not working living on the dole and they're laughing!

I would be ringing back and getting a second opinion. I work 3 days and i am only entitled to have 36 hours care subsidised as they go on how many days i work. I cant see how they would give you 50 hours if you werent working. That doesnt sound right. Secondly 50 hours is counted as 12 hour days so really only 4 days would be subsidised iykwim. And lastly you are entitled to the 50% rebate each quarter (im sure it isnt income tested, you just have to have a dual income or be studying)so if you are paying approx $250 a week per child you will get $125 of that back each quarter (and ive heard its changing to fortnightly) so it may still be worth returning to work.
But yes i would maybe ring back and find out excatly how that all works regarding getting 50hrs care if you dont work, that is beyond silly.

we are in NZ..... i know its totally beyond reason really for why or how....... i can get those hours to have time out from my kids...

It stinks!!!

I've been looking into this here in Aus. And I have found that the Child Care Benefit sucks wang! It's means tested which is cool, but for sending my DD to day care I am only entitled to a $4 discount for every day that she goes! If I was working full time I'd get nothing because apparently my husband and I earn too much. I don't get the Family Tax Benefit either for the same reason. Lucky I have my mother to help look after her a few days a week otherwise there'd be no point in going to work.

I wouldn't even be able to quit work and live on the dole cos my husband still earns too much! lol.

I see these clients of mine popping out babies and not working living on the dole and they're laughing!

I went through this and you have to consider the rebate, not the benefit. Trust me, it does work out more beneficial to work...(haha what a cool play on words. lol)

We don't qualify for the benefit either, but because I study and DH works (both parents must be working and/or studying at least 15hrs per week), we qualify for the rebate, which is NOT means tested. You get 50% back. I put DS in daycare 2 days per week so I can attend uni (so not even getting an income!!) and I pay $70 p/d, so a large out-of-pocket expense BUT I get 50% back every 3 months, so it's not that much really.

To the OP, are you sure that you get 50hrs for NOT working? Even though I'm from NZ, (I haven't lived there for 10yrs and definitely wasn't looking at daycare then lol), I'm pretty sure the way the childcare scheme works is that you qualify for so many hours of subsidised childcare and the hours go up the more you work. So, if I don't work (in Aus), I'd only qualify for 24hrs subsidised (which I don't qualify anyway), but if I work 2 days per week, they put it up to 50hrs subsidised rate. So yeah, I'd double check if I were you. According to the NZ family assistance website, the cutoff for the BENEFIT (not rebate; I'm not sure if you have that? They're 2 different things) is around $70k (for one child), I think. Check it out here
For all those that doubt the 50hr allocation I wouldnt be surprised. When you have a special needs child your become eligible for alot of extra hours. I know in Australia it does and most likely does in NZ as well.
I am a SAHM and my youngest child I recieve carers allowance for....because of that I get maximum hour allowance where other SAHM get much less hours.

Cheers Ness

You dont get that 50hrs per child if you aren't working you only get 9 hrs subsudised, not sure why they told you that, unless it has something to do with your higher needs child.
I dont work but send my middle child 8 hours a week and get subsudised. Have you done the calculations on work and income it tells you what you could be intitled to.

That was the same as me when my twins were preschool and I went back to work part time -they said we earn to much.
Thankfully I changed work to a new early childhood centre that had just opened and it was put into our contract that our own children could attend the centre we work at for free the hours that I worked there, And if we had children under the age of 10 our boss gave us an extra 5 sick days a year.

Only thing is the centre is for children aged 2-5 so I am still unsure what to do at the moment with my DS (6 1/2 months) -I have applied to do porse but after 3 months I have not even had any interviews so am thinking I will have to go back to work and look at putting him into another centre.

You dont get that 50hrs per child if you aren't working you only get 9 hrs subsudised, not sure why they told you that, unless it has something to do with your higher needs child.
I dont work but send my middle child 8 hours a week and get subsudised. Have you done the calculations on work and income it tells you what you could be intitled to.

no i qualify for fifty hours per child if i am not working! seriously not joking
the fifty hours is because of my oldest boy who has cyclic vommiting syndrome but really i still find it hard to think about argghghghghghhg

Yep, I totally feel your pain. We always earn just a fraction over the threshold to qualify for childcare assistance and it bugs me no end! It would be so nice even to qualify for $1.00 an hour subsidy but we never will. It seems the incentive and help for working parents is just not there.

I know... just rips ya nighty
Sign in to follow this topic