Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Birth plans Lock Rss

I am trying to write my birth plan at the moment and finding it all a bit over whelming!!
If you had a birth plan or are planning to have one can you please tell me what you have on it or if you wouldn't mind sharing the whole thing with me so I can get an idea of what they are meant to be smile

Thanks smile
i didnt have a birth plan i just had an idea off what i wanted... i knew i wanted to try my best and not have an pain killers and if i were to i would try the gas and if that didnt work i would have an epidural. i ended up just using the gas and had a wonderful birth...
I was overwhelmed with the thought of writing a birth plan. I spoke with my midwife explaining that i didnt really know what i wanted or didnt want as i had never experienced this before.
I am open to using pain relief but as a last resort. My husband and i have spoken about the different options we have.
The midwife said to me that as long as your happy to go in open minded then that is your birth plan. She said it was very common for 1st timers to have an open mind.
Not for everyone but im happy with my birth plan!
hi LJ
mine is in dot point. containing things like, i want DH to have the option of cutting the cord.
I would like to delay cutting the cord.
I plan to use hyponobirthing and/or pain management techniques fromthe birth skills book(my mid wife if familiar with this book)
I don't want to be offered drugs (i will ask for them, and then DH will try to stall, as I would like to attempt drug free)

if I require surgery etc, there are to be no visitors to new bub, until I am ready (this is to prevent SIL barging in and holding my baby before I do, cause she would!!)

I plan to stay home as long as possible
i plan to go home as soon as possible

I'm trying to keep an open mind on all of this, as things never go to plan, especially in labour.

try to keep is short and only give specifics on things that are important to you.

this is your first isn't it, I have written a plan for my DD also so who ever ends up baby sitting (this depends on when I go in to labour) will know what her routine is.

Two beautiful girls, hubby working from home makes one happy mumma smile
[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb2f.lilypie.com...]

We had dot points written on our book.. but at the end of the day.. the midwife paid no attention to it..

I said NO male Dr's or midwives in the room.. but the dr on call was a male.. that was my main thing really.

I spoke to hubby a lot about it all so he knew what i wanted and didnt want. No episiotomy too.. that was one i insisted on.
Here's my birth plan:

-------------------------
If at any time during the labour I am unable to make decisions that may affect myself or my baby, my partner Dylan has all authority to make decisions.

A video camera and still camera will be used during the birth and labour by my mother Robyn.

I do not want training medical staff to be granted access, as this is my first birth.

I will rest or move around as I see fit. I do not intend to confine myself to the bed.

Any medical assistance in the labour must be clearly explained to both Dylan and Robyn as well as myself before it is carried out. As previously stated, Dylan has authority to accept or reject medical intervention.

I fully intend to have a drug free labour and birth.
If I need to use drugs for pain relief I would like use Entonox (gas).
I do not want Pethidine or Morphine.
I do not want an epidural or spinal block.
I do not want a cannula inserted.

I do not consent to a membrane sweep or artificial rupture of the membranes.
During any vaginal exam, there must be no risk of the membranes being damaged.

I would like intermittent monitoring, with no electronic equipment to be left on.

I would not like to have an episiotomy.

I would like a natural third stage, with no assistance in the delivery of the placenta.
THIS MEANS NO SYNTOCINON INJECTION.
The baby should be put into my arms immediately. If I am unable to hold the baby, it is to be passed to Dylan.
I do not want the umbilicus cut or clamped off before the placenta has been delivered.
I want to breast feed the baby immediately, before the umbilicus is cut.
Dylan is to cut the umbilical cord after the placenta is delivered.
We request to keep the placenta in order to bury it in Maori tradition.

I would like my baby to be checked and assessed from my arms or Dylan’s arms. I do not want it to be separated unless medically necessary.

The baby is not to be removed from the birthing suite except in medical emergency. Dylan must accompany the baby if it is removed.

Our baby will not receive a dose of Vitamin K, either by injection or orally. My belief is with adequate time attached to the placenta combined with ingestion of colostrum, Vit K levels are normal. Babies are only low in comparison to adults.
The only exception to this is early removal of the umbilicus or assisted birth.
Nor will it receive the Hepatitis B shot.

------------------------

Also mention if you want to use anything specific for relaxation (music, candles, bath, etc).

In the end, I had morphine but my MW asked me numerous times if I was sure.
The end of the birth didn't quite go to plan, as Ky wasn't breathing when she was delivered and the cord was very short. They kept her on the cord for 4 1/2 minutes trying manual stimulation before they cut the cord and took her to have oxygen. In the end she had Vit K because of this.

Always be prepared to deviate from your birth plan! Especially when it's your first, you really do go in having absolutely no idea what you're in for.
I didn't write a birth plan for either of my babies, my plan was to deliver my baby in the safest way possible and to go with the flow.
My partner and i talked about what we were happy with before the births so he knew but there was never anything written down. I think its all a bit too much to go in with a written letter of what you 'think' you want to happen because when it comes down to it, it's all about delivering a healthy baby.
More often than not what you have written wont happen anyway, you don't want to come away from the birth upset or angry because your 'plan' didn't work. Just talk it over with your partner and any other birth partners so they know how to help if asked any questions in there.
Good luck with it all and just be open to what needs to happen

I didn't write a birth plan for either of my babies, my plan was to deliver my baby in the safest way possible and to go with the flow.
My partner and i talked about what we were happy with before the births so he knew but there was never anything written down. I think its all a bit too much to go in with a written letter of what you 'think' you want to happen because when it comes down to it, it's all about delivering a healthy baby.
More often than not what you have written wont happen anyway, you don't want to come away from the birth upset or angry because your 'plan' didn't work. Just talk it over with your partner and any other birth partners so they know how to help if asked any questions in there.
Good luck with it all and just be open to what needs to happen

Same smile
I had a birth plan with my first, it wasnt majorly detailed but just things like I wanted to be able to move around freely and try a drug free birth, the bit of paper didnt even make it out of my back!!! i just couldnt be bothered with it in the end, my labour started quickly and my contractions were very close together and intense, when it came down to it I just went with the flow and tried the best that I could. I dont have any regrets in doing that at all.

In the end I had an emergency c-section as bubs got very distressed. I had an elective c-section with my 2nd baby and am booked in for my 3rd elective this Friday, all that i have asked this time is the sheet to be lowered so i can see him being born, Im happy for my DH to hold him first and I breastfeed when in recovery.

Thanks for all your replies smile

This is what I have done so far. (still want to have a chat with my doctor about a couple things. I am seeing him tomorrow so will ask then)

*Birth Companion- My partner Adam. To be with me through whole labour & birth. No one else to be allowed in). Any medical assistance to myself or baby to be clearly explained to both Adam & myself.

*Pain Relief- No drugs unless really medically needed. I don't want to be offered any drugs during labour or birth.

*Monitoring- Whatever medically monitoring is needed at the time. I would prefer not to have monitoring equipment left on if possible.

* Interventions- I would not like to have an episiotomy. I would prefer not to have forceps or suction used unless really necessarty.

*Environment, Relaxation & comfort during labour- I would like to have my own music using my ipod throughout labour. I would like to use bath/shower & fitball if available. I would also like to use aromatherapy oils & massage by Adam throughout labour.

*Mobility during labour- I would like to be able to move around freely during labour when possible and not restricted to the bed.

*Delivery Position- I am open to try any suggested positions for delivery that I find comfortable at the time.

*Immediately following delivery- I would like the baby to be placed in my arms/on my chest immediately after birth. I would like myself & Adam to hold baby before being weighed/measured, etc. I would like to attempt to breast feed baby immediately. Adam is to cut the umbilical cord. (Going to speak to doctor about cord clamping & the injection for placenta and then make a decision on this)
Baby is not to be taken away unless medical emergency. Adam to go with baby at all times. Baby to have Vitamin K & Hep B injections. I would like to donate the cord blood if possible.

Visitors after birth- No one to be let in room to see baby until both Adam & myself are ready.

Is there anything I should add or remove?
thanks ladies smile
Sounds great. smile Having the bit about vacuum/forceps isn't really necessary because these days they're only used when they're really necessary. They'll be telling you to push 'n push 'n push before they vacuum it out.

Consider whether you're happy to have a student midwife present at the birth (if there's one at the time) or not. I wasn't, because it was my first, but I'd be more than happy for them to be there for my future births.
Thanks Nostrum.
I only put that about the forceps because people keep telling me things about it. haha cant listen to everyones horror stories!!
Sign in to follow this topic