Huggies Forum

the redlands hospital Lock Rss

Has anyone been told the new rules that i got told the other day by a girlfriend! now the redlands are doing things differently this year! if you r to much over weight they will not take you they have weight limits on the beds there. does anyone think this is bullshit! i am a bigger girl and i am 7 weeks pregnant and i am bigger than i was with my first daughter they gave me alot of *** for my weight last time and i lost 10 kilos. apparently they see you for all your appointments then when its time to give birth they send you to the mater or the logan hospital. what i want to know is whats the difference between the beds at the redlands and the other 2 hospitals they will send you. isn't it a bit discrimination to bigger people
i dont live in the area so cant say much but from how it works at the hospitals near me, you have to be pretty large to need a special bed. i would say it is descrimination. have you spoken to the hospital about this or have you just heard through a friend of a friend or something? i would suggest calling the maternity ward or the obs or something and just asking them straight out.

good luck with your pregnancy
HI I had both of my babies at the Redlands, in 2008 and 2009 and I am not aware of this. May be give the midwives a call and see if this is correct.

thanks girls i have my first appointment on the 7th of june so i'll ask them, we have enough pressure being pregnant then to worry bout whether you gonna be excepted into the hospital of your choice
Yes I am aware that there are new rules that are coming in at Redlands... I was told that because of the number of women coming through the hospital they need to change the rules to ensure the quality of care as they are no longer a country hospital and need to now to keep up with the city demand. I am 1 that slipped through the system when I have my DS2 there 4 weeks ago. The midwives failed to send me to see the doctors at the 36 weeks mark and the 40 week mark as recommened. After a scan at 40+2 which estimated that I had a big baby the doctors on the ward were shocked I had been let go that far. But they still let me go another week and after 10 hours of induced labour my 10p 13oz son was born via emergency c-section which also resulted in me losing 2 litres of blood and my uterus tearing.....

I had all the head honchos of the obsectric unit in my room the days after telling me to put in formal complaints etc as I should have never been let go that far and the system failed me and has been failing alot of people lately. Personally I will never go to that hospital again after that experience, but would welcome any new rules they are bringing in to avoid this happening to anyone else... I guess this is my point. Even though it might be inconvenient I would hate for what happened to me, happen to anyone else. It is more to do with the risk of the pregnancy rather then weight so please try not to think of it as discrimation.

Sorry about the long winded post but i hate this hospital and will never forget what happened with me. I am just thankful me and bub are both ok.

Good luck with your pregnancy, I hope everything goes well for you.

Yes I am aware that there are new rules that are coming in at Redlands... I was told that because of the number of women coming through the hospital they need to change the rules to ensure the quality of care as they are no longer a country hospital and need to now to keep up with the city demand. I am 1 that slipped through the system when I have my DS2 there 4 weeks ago. The midwives failed to send me to see the doctors at the 36 weeks mark and the 40 week mark as recommened. After a scan at 40+2 which estimated that I had a big baby the doctors on the ward were shocked I had been let go that far. But they still let me go another week and after 10 hours of induced labour my 10p 13oz son was born via emergency c-section which also resulted in me losing 2 litres of blood and my uterus tearing.....

I had all the head honchos of the obsectric unit in my room the days after telling me to put in formal complaints etc as I should have never been let go that far and the system failed me and has been failing alot of people lately. Personally I will never go to that hospital again after that experience, but would welcome any new rules they are bringing in to avoid this happening to anyone else... I guess this is my point. Even though it might be inconvenient I would hate for what happened to me, happen to anyone else. It is more to do with the risk of the pregnancy rather then weight so please try not to think of it as discrimation.

Sorry about the long winded post but i hate this hospital and will never forget what happened with me. I am just thankful me and bub are both ok.

Good luck with your pregnancy, I hope everything goes well for you.

WOW, thats shocking. I would be ringing up and putting in that complaint if I was you.

Hope your boys are going well and that Jed is sleeping well for you.

I haven't heard anything about this new rule at Redlands either ...

I have heard of it happening however at other hospitals in other states. From memory though I believe that obese persons have a higher chance of complications during and after the birth so they prefer people at hospitals with the appropriate services and equipment to manage anything that may go untoward ... I don't think this is discrimination though. I think this is looking out for the best interests of the patient.

I had both my children at Logan by choice (did a shared care arrangement with my GP). They were great. Wouldn't let them change my car tyre lol, but their maternity section I think is fantastic. They were worried my second son was too small and they were right onto monitoring his growth with scans. He was also breech and same, they didn't muck around at all with that either. I would choose to go there again if I had to as I had two great birthing and after care experiences with them.

Good Luck with your pregnancy
I had DD2 there in Oct 09 and wasn't aware then that there was a policy, but was delightfully informed by my midwife that considering I was already obese (mole), I should try not to put on too much weight. Thanks wink. Also, I did NOT like the hospital and left early after poor after care and b**chy midwives.
But, I guess being bigger may increase riskes and being such a tiny hospital, they may not be able to deal with it.
I too have heard good things about Logan Maternity. IS it the Mater at Southbank? My friend had her bub there at 29 weeks and they were fantastic.
Good luck with your pregnancy smile

yes it was the mater in brisbane i have heard great things bout the mater, but not the logan, but if you ask everyone about the redlands you get good stories and bad stories, the older midwifes are the worst i think she was the head nurse manager that was a bitch to me and my bestfriend, i was over weight with my daughter olivia and had no complications apart from letting me go to long then having a c section after 18 hours but i had a lovely nurse that was in the operating room and she walked past my room and remembered me and came in for a chat she was beautiful, had had the best midwifes they took the time to show me things and didn't rush away apart from the bitch i had to begin with, im not gonna stress if i need to go to the logan or mater i don't care which one i go to im just worrying about the other mums in the room with me as my husband informs me i snore i don't want to keep anyone up lol
In all honesty, if you can have your baby at the Mater, then opt for that. I had my 2nd son at Redlands and it was a fantastic experience. So much so I fell pregnant again, only to have a really bad experience. I was left on the ward to dialate a posterior baby who's heart rate was dropping with each contracton because they had no beds in the delivery ward and the midwife I had was only a new graduate and wouldn't listen to me. Also 90% of the women on my ward had emergency c-secs.

I know the lack of care was due to the overwhelming number of women having babies and they just can't cater to the growing demand.

Idealy it would be good if you can have all your appointments at Redlands cause parking is free, then have your baby delivered at the Mater.

Good Luck with your pregnancy
I would find it really hard to believe that it was to do with the weight limits on the beds.

Now you will probably find it is the same as our local hospital, women who are so many % over the recommended BMI have more chances of complications during labour, which means they have to ensure they have the necessary equipment and staff to deal with this. Many smaller hospitals (or country as in my case) do not have the staffing capacity/experience/equipment and do not believe that they can adequately deal with complications where you and the baby are put in life threatening situations, therefore opt to send you to better equiped hospitals to reduce the chances of being sued.

If i put on much more wieght i will be put into the category that has to travel 4 hours to the nearest hospital who will deal with me. And at the end of the day i would much rather do that the ensure me and my baby are safe.
yes kylie i had a emergency c section because my daughter was facing down the right way but her head was tilted and wouldn't come out after olivia was born my hubby said we will never go back there, but to give birth in a private hospital is expensive and we don't have a spare 2 grand lying around.
Sign in to follow this topic