Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Timid dog Lock Rss

Good morning!
Yesterday we adopted a 13 month old labradore, he's been mistreated in the past and is so timid and jumpy, we have already completely fallen in love with him but would love him to feel happy and secure.

How do we help him gain our trust and relax?

Our dog was the same when we got him. He is now very happy and loves to play. It took a bit of time.

I would give him lots of cuddles. Reward good behaviour with treats. If he is naughty let him no, but no physical action (i.e hitting etc) is needed.

Just make him feel like part of the family grin

Our dog was the same when we got him. He is now very happy and loves to play. It took a bit of time.

I would give him lots of cuddles. Reward good behaviour with treats. If he is naughty let him no, but no physical action (i.e hitting etc) is needed.

Just make him feel like part of the family grin

Thankyou, I was getting worried, I did a google search and found alot of sad stories and basicaly it says it will be a very long road and he may not recover. I'm so glad your dog is now happy!

We adopted a spoodle who had also been mistreated when he was about 2. I have to say it took nearly a year, but we now have a relaxed happy dog. We took him to obedience school (it was good for him to interact with the other dogs as well as learn some manners). He took to that and is much more secure now that he knows his obedience and understands what the boundarys are. He still whines a bit which is an anxiety thing, but we are working on that too.

For us it was setting boundaries, making him feel secure, and giving lots of unconditional love. Like a baby, he loves routine. I take him for a walk at around the same time everyday and feed him the same. He spends most of his day with the family which he loves. Good luck and good on you for resucuing a dog instead getting a puppy from a pet shop.

Thanks heaps!As soon as I saw him I knew he was our dog! (so corny I know lol) I love reading success stories, it gives me hope. As long as there is a chance that he'll eventually feel happy I am more than happy to put in the effort. Initially we wanted an outside dog, but when he's outside he goes right down the back and into a corner and wont budge, so now he is inside and slowly feeling relaxed around DH and I but he's still scared of the kids. I'm taking him to the vet next week but just wanted to make sure we're doing the right thing before then. Thanks for the advice.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that our dog is now desexed. I think that has made him calmer and more relaxed too.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that our dog is now desexed. I think that has made him calmer and more relaxed too.

I agree with this comment too grin
Sign in to follow this topic