Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Dr's Surgerys being fully booked

Dr's Surgerys being fully booked Lock Rss

Hi everyone,
rang up my drs today to try and get in for an emergency appointment today. Told they are fully booked but I can go on a list and if an appointment comes up then I'll get a call.

Whats the next option? Up to emegency for 1/2 a day?

Are they really fully booked or could they squeeze someone in?

Just a bit annoyed about the attitude of the receptionist, i do realise she is under a lot of stress and i feel sorry for her with all the phone calls this morning, but a bit of customer care goes a long way.
Is it for you or one of your children?
I know at my dr's if its a child they have to squeeze them in somewhere, but they wont if its just for me or DF.

Is it possible to maybe go to the chemist and ask them about what ever it is?
It's for myself. 9 weeks pregnant and they can't fit me in. Just have a few concerns. Its funny you mention the chemist cause our local pharmacist is the one i usually go to before going to the drs to see if its worth going to the dr. But being pregnant I don't muck around.

Would the midwives see me this early? My previous two pregnancies I had Dr's care so I have never dealt with the midwives before.
My docs is always booked out, but when i was pregnant and had a bleed at 6 weeks i just drove there and someone was able to see me within 10 mins. I didn't call as it was first thing in the morning but if it is not to far a trip, maybe you could try it. If you are already there someone should be able to find a minute to see you and even if you have to wait it will still be a shorted wait than the emergency room.

I did have to end up going to emergency and had to wait for 5 hours even with a docs referal and a previous m/c. At my hospital it was to early to see the midwives unfortunately.

There are some really nasty flu's going around and they probably really are booked. Im sure the receptionist would have asked you a few questions to gauage just how much of an emergency it is and given you some advice on what you should do next. If you need to see a dr, than go to the emergency room.

It's for myself. 9 weeks pregnant and they can't fit me in. Just have a few concerns. Its funny you mention the chemist cause our local pharmacist is the one i usually go to before going to the drs to see if its worth going to the dr. But being pregnant I don't muck around.

Would the midwives see me this early? My previous two pregnancies I had Dr's care so I have never dealt with the midwives before.

It may be difficult to get a midwife appointment today if you're not already set up with one. I didn't actually see my midwife until about 3 weeks after i registered with her, and i had to wait for forms to be sent to me etc.

I'd say if you have any bleeding, or cramping or you think something is seriously wrong then you should go to emergency.

If its not an emergency but you still want to go today could you try another Dr? In my city there is like a drop in Dr's that is open until late at night. It tends to cost a bit more than going to see your normal Dr but you just show up and wait for the next appointment.

If your pregnancy and you go to emergency they normally see you right away, i went there twice at the beginning of my pregnancy, once with spotting and once with a letter from my doctor saying i needed to be rehydrated asap and both times i didn't even get to take a seat they took my through straight away. (that was redcliffe hospital in QLD)
I had bleeding early on with all my pregnancies, and I found that both hospitals I was going to be delivering at has early pregnancy assessment clinics to deal with anything pregnancy related before 20 weeks. Might be worth calling the local public hospital to see if anything like that exists in your area. They are usually pretty prompt in my experience.

Good luck. Hope everything is ok.

3 girls are enough...the shop is now shut!

If it's a pregnancy related thing, bypass the ED and go to the hospitals birth suite
Thanks ladies for the reply. Been experiencing cramping.

went up to maternity ward, they sent me down to emegerency. After 1hr 45 mins saw a triage nurse who was lovely and took my concerns on board. Then after another 1hr got to see my bubby on the screen heart pumping away.

Then got an immediate referral down to radiology for a closer look and all is well. very relieved parents here.

Was told by the radiologist to go home and keep cooking, hehe. Lovely hospital experience this morning, loved how they dealt with the issue.

Thanks again.
Doctors are always booked out at this time of year

I never manage to have a problem though as I find I only ring wanting an emergency appt when I'm really worried - so when they say they've got no spots the tears genuinely start while im on the phone and they get me in :S

I agree with the OP above, if it's preg related you are worried about, just turn up at the maternity suite of the hossy
All the best and I hope everything is ok!
Just saw your post!
That is great they were so on the ball - and that everything is ok smile
Sign in to follow this topic