Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Thinking of Studying Midwifery Rss

HI Ladies,
I have been wanting to study Midwifery at Uni for a few years and now that my daughter is 3 and son is nearly 1 with no more babies on the way I'm thinking that next year will be the year.
My hubby is happy to support us financially for 3 years knowing that I will have a greater earning capacity later and I wont have to work for that time.

I guess what I'm hoping you lovely ladies can tell me is what the Uni study load is really like? I will be studying externally so it's very much self determined but according to Uni SA it would be about 40 hours a week dedicated to Uni. I did 2 years Uni about 7 years ago and I dont remember EVER doing 40 hours a week on study but maybe that was coz I was slack.
My concern is that I don't want my kids to miss out on mummy time coz I'm studying and I don't really want to bite of more than I can chew and feel too stretched, nor do I want to study part time.

Any helps from mums that are/have studied with young kids would be fantastic to get a realistic view on things before I take this on.

Thanks so much ladies x

Hi
First of all it's great that you want to study, the feeling of completing an assignment and getting a good mark is one of the best feelings ever. I am not studying nursing, I am studying a Bachelor in Social Science, my best friend is studying Nursing. Midwifery is an extra year I think on top of nursing. My friend is in her first year full time and she says its alot of work she is on campus and spends roughly 8 hours or more a day, but she doesnt have kids either.
I have one DD and one on the way I choose to study part time because of DD and I also work part time too. But next year DD will be at prep, I wont be working cause I will be home with bubba, I am going to try and take on a fulltime load
If you are the type of person who is really well orgainised then it can be done, do your kids go to daycare? having a couple child free days a week helps too, oh and since your already a mum you will be used to sleep deprivation lol there have been many times when I have been up to 3am working on an assignment, then up again at 6 or 7 am with DD. Is your hubby supportive of you wanting to study? He could help wih kids on weekends. My hubby works away so I dont have that help either.
I dont if I have helped any or just rambled on, but Good Luck!!!
Hi Lauren,

I am in a similar situation to you - I have want to study midwifery for a while now and have spent alot of time trying to look at all the different options that would suit me with 3yo and 6mo DDs.

What I understand so far is that Midwifery seems to be a particularly time intensive degree with pracs and pregnancy follow throughs. I have also been told that the recommended time allocated to each subject each week is approx 10 hrs but have also heard alot of people say it depends on the subject.

What I have done to get the wheels turning on my plan at a pace I can handle until my youngest is older is started a Bachelor of Nursing externally and part time. I actually really didn't want to have to do nursing but I figured I can always transfer over to Midwifery in a year or two and get some credits.

There is a really good forum on BubHub (I think) with alot of info about studying Midwifery -if I can find it I will try a link.

Hope this helps a little...
This isn't the one I was looking for but it may answer some Qs for you?

http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/forums/archive/index.php/t-265681.html
Hi, I did my nursing degree at uniSA internally. It's a really good uni smile Doing midwifery full time would be like having a full time job. 40 hours/week isn't actually that much - it's only about 6 hours/day (including weekends) and if you were studying internally you'd be spending at least that long on tutes and lectures and then you'd have to do your assignments and study for exams at home.
I didn't have my DS when I did my degree but I was doing shift work 4 days/week and survived, so it's doable. You just need to be really organised and not leave your assignments till the last minute.
You can do just the midwifery degree or you can do nursing and then the extra year of midwifery. I think having the nursing degree gives you more options to be honest, and the health system is a bit crazy at the moment. Good luck smile
I will be going through UNI SA which offers a 3 year Midwifery degree, without nursing. It seems that the first semester has 3 subjects so that would be 30 hours a week. I have no idea how I'd manage that with 2 kids but I guess when you spread that across the whole week it doesn't seem so daunting.

I do have a very supportive Hubby, who is great with the kids and thankfully will have flexible working hours. Thus far I've worked 2-3 hours a day since my DD was born and also with the 2 kids but have always had them with me, so I'm hoping that time can go towards Uni instead. Both kids have never been in day care but I would probably happily put them in care 1 day a week to have an intense study time.

Still very unsure as to what to do as I get mummy guilts that my kids are going to miss out because of me studying....
Thanks so so much for your input girls

I did my nursing externally through unisa. I'm not going to lie, its tough! But..... I didn't do 40 hours a week- not even close to and I still managed to get distinctions. The part I found hard is getting motivated- my dd was 1 yr and I could only study when she was asleep as getting distracted while you study just makes it impossible. And when she was asleep there were so many jobs I could have been doing that some days I just neglected my study. Having dead lines & due dates makes you feel under pressure for every minute of the day - you have to get used to living in guilt because you're always thinking about study. If you take some time out to yourself you feel guilty for not studying, if you spend half the day cleaning the house you feel guilty for not studying.

You don't have the same level of support being external. It's difficult to get help and you feel that youre doing it alone. Because you can't go sit in a lecture it takes longer to understand things and the textbooks can be difficult to understand. They do record the lectures though and you can listen to them. I wasn't an auditory learner though and I had to read the books to learn. Most people I know love to listen to the recordings though.

My hubby didn't get it as he'd never studied... I got frustrated with him because when I was stressed his standard answer was "you'll be right, you always pass!" Which didn't really acknowlege my stress!

I did it full time so that I didn't drag it out - I wanted to quit so many times and it was so tempting to go part time but I'm really glad I hung in there. Each year is really different to the last. First year was tough because you're learning how to write assignments and how to do it how they want you to. Second year the workload was much bigger and their expectations were higher so I found that hard, then third year was a whole lot easier with only one subject at a time.... however there were two 8 week placements that were absolute killers! Working full time for 8 weeks without pay, trying to organise care for my dd was just mindblowingly stressful. I had a few meltdowns in that time!

I also worked while I studied, 5 shifts per fortnight and that is actually what saved my sanity. A different environment where I could get away from the same 4 walls and not think about study!

If you're not careful it can take over your life. I made a rule that I didn't study on weekends. That was my time with my family and it was not an option to study. It was the only time I could relax and not feel guilty about study!
Life is a whole lot different when you study. You'll find you have no spare time and you can go mental some days.... but its not forever and it was worth it for our family! Might also add that I put my dd in childcare every Friday and would get most of my study done then. She didn't miss out on mummy time by just studying when she was asleep and on Fridays. I had to plan really well. I had a diary with due dates. With 3 subjects its really important to work out which assignments need to be done first. I also planned to have one topic per subject done every week. That way I kept up with the workload.

Wow thanks so much Chalys... that has given me lots to think about. Unfortunately I've looked into the entry scores for Midwifery and they are soooo high, like 90.25, where as nursing is 65...... So really thinking maybe I should just do nursing instead, atleast I can have a good job at the end of 3 years.

Thanks for the help

The midwives I've talked to all recommend to do nursing first anyway. You come out of it with a lot more general knowledge... and you can always go on and do your mid later. Then when you've done your mid you're a super midwife because you have so much knowledge!

Good luck! Xx smile

The midwives I've talked to all recommend to do nursing first anyway. You come out of it with a lot more general knowledge... and you can always go on and do your mid later. Then when you've done your mid you're a super midwife because you have so much knowledge!

Good luck! Xx smile

When I was in labour one of the midwives was trying to convince me to do midwifery! lol smile She even found out from the other midwives who used to be nurses if I would still stay on the same pay rates. I must say, midwifery does look more appealing than nursing atm tongue
Thanks girls smile
I am going to put nursing down as a second choice. Apparantly the course isn't as full on for nursing and like I said to Hubby, at least at the end of the 3 years I have a degree of some sort and nursing probably is a bit more flexible with work.
The only issue with doing Nursing through Uni SA is that to complete the Bachelor of Midwifery after is still 3 years part time!! Wow like as long as a dr :S Anyway if that's what I want and I can't get into Midwifery it sounds like a great option

Thanks for helping me sort through my mind smile

Actually to study to be a doctor part time would be a LOT longer than 6 years! smile you never know.... when your kids are older and both at school you might be able to do it full time and have it done in 18 months.

Sign in to follow this topic