Huggies Forum

Just look at the waste Rss

So a few of you lovely laides might remember my post from a month ago or so about the farming of potaoes this year. Basically there was no market, the price was terrible and we stood to lose a whole lot of money. <span class="emoticon unsure">unsure</span>

Since this time the price has dropped even more, we did manage to dig a few more days for the price of 20 cents a kilo. Thats all well and good except it cost 30c a KG to grow them let alone make a profit. We have about 60 tonne of spuds sitting in the shed and we have just plowed in the last 8-10 acres leaving about 200 more tonne go to waste.

For those that are interested I have attached a photo so you can get an idea of how many have gone to waste. We also have sent another photo of DH,DD and myself to the newspaper in hopes that they will do a story. The sad thing is we are not the only farm in this situation, there will be about 1000 tonne ploughed all toghether in our town alone! I know there is nothing thay can be done and it's not the end of the world lucky we diversify on our farm and haven't lost money in all areas. What gets me is the price the supermarkets are selling them for!!! <span class="emoticon angry">angry</span>

I just can't get over the waste!

That's terrible sad how frustrating. So what's the best thing for us to? Is shopping at green grocers better for farmers?

Thanks for the support guys. To be honest it doesn't matter where you buy your poatoes from aslong as they are Australian. By buying them from woolworths or coles etc it is you that are getting ripped off by paying to much, other years it does affect us. The problem this year is imported spuds, most frozen chips, pre chopped vegies and potato chips use imported potatoes. People are time and money short(can't blame them) and use these instead of fresh potaotoes which slows the aussie market and causes the price to drop.

The ebst way to fix this problem is for Aussies processing plants(McCains for example) to use Australian produce. atm most of them are imported.

What a waste! It makes me angry that woolies charges so much for a bag of potatoes. So McCains are Australian, what other brands should I be looking out for? I buy Dick Smith whenever I can in other products but I've never bought frozen veges before apart from hash browns.
Sheeeesh!! I just wanna come up there and buy a few kilos from you! Bet they taste so much better than the floury mush at our woolies. I love potatoes. I have a big patch of them. Not as big as yours though....

Sheeeesh!! I just wanna come up there and buy a few kilos from you! Bet they taste so much better than the floury mush at our woolies. I love potatoes. I have a big patch of them. Not as big as yours though....

Lol I just thought the same thing, I'd be happy to buy a few kilos of potatoes from you no probs! Yummmm tongue Where abouts is your farm if you don't mind me asking?

Lol I just thought the same thing, I'd be happy to buy a few kilos of potatoes from you no probs! Yummmm tongue Where abouts is your farm if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks! smile We are in far north Qld about 1.15 minutes drive west of Cairns!

What a waste! It makes me angry that woolies charges so much for a bag of potatoes. So McCains are Australian, what other brands should I be looking out for? I buy Dick Smith whenever I can in other products but I've never bought frozen veges before apart from hash browns.

Mcains are, sometimes! The best thing to do is look at the packet,(Sorry I sound Like I am oredidng you around tongue) as it says where they are from. Mccains says made from Local and Imported ingredients. Birds eye are australian, It says on the bag. Thanks for the support, some people are starving and we are letting food rot away!

I must get back into checking packets, since I've had kids I usually do the shop nice and fast! I am surprised at how many groceries aren't made in Aus, in the health food section of Coles some of their fruit products are made in Pakistan and their rice crackers for kids are made in China, a lot of tinned tomatoes are made in Italy with inferior tomatoes. Seems so stupid when we have such great farms right here.
Could you contact the Salvos and all other food bank places and at least tell them to come and get some?? I know that doesn't help the money issue, but it might lighten the waste issue. I'm sure there's shelters and soup kitchens and food vans all over the country that would love to take some off your hands. Maybe there's a big business out there that would then donate the transport to get the spuds to their destinations.....
Today Tonight, Sunrise and shows like that would probably help you to get the word out as well as make people aware of what you and others near you are going through.
I wish I could buy some off you!
The last few bags I've gotten from my local fruit and veg shop, the potatoes have been rotten inside when I've cut them.
Sorry to hear of your waste sad

Could you contact the Salvos and all other food bank places and at least tell them to come and get some?? I know that doesn't help the money issue, but it might lighten the waste issue. I'm sure there's shelters and soup kitchens and food vans all over the country that would love to take some off your hands. Maybe there's a big business out there that would then donate the transport to get the spuds to their destinations.....
Today Tonight, Sunrise and shows like that would probably help you to get the word out as well as make people aware of what you and others near you are going through.

Yep yep! I totally agree with you Streetlights, fantastic idea smile

Sign in to follow this topic