Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

What are your rules Lock Rss

First of all yes i know a house can't be quiet but i want to know if others have rules for guests for when your kids are asleep.

My rules are that when they are asleep that people are quiet. Now i know you can't be totally quiet but i don't like yelling or banging when my kids are asleep. My youngest is a very light sleep & he slowly getting better but he hears noise or anything he thinks he missing out on something.
I know he has to get use to noise but i think it's repectful of guests to lower their tone in voice.

My other rule is other kids aren't aloud to walk into my kids rooms when they are asleep.

So do you have rules and what happens when someone breaks them when they come over.

Just this thing with my sil, has got me thinking that people have lost respect for others wishes in their homes.

My sil doesn't have respect for us has parents & thinks that she has a right to do what ever in my home.

We live in a unit. Our lounge room adjoins directly to DS's room. We often have people over and I find that people honestly do forget, especially if they do not have babies or very young children. My 20-year-old brother comes over every couple of days and without fail will yell at a game or at the TV or my DH and I have to gently remind him to be quiet.

I don't have any 'rules' as such but if my DS is sleeping when people come over I just remind them that he is asleep. I have only ever had people wake DS up accidentally half a dozen times and at those times I tend to not really worry about it and just resettle him or get him up for a little bit to say hello.

Our house is so small that even if I am doing the dishes or running the washing machine it is quite loud. We also live on a major road so the car noise is quite loud and constant. All these factors have made it so that DS sleeps through quite a bit.
We moved him into our room while we had vistors my BIL yelled at one of his kids ( he has 4) then hubby talk loud. Now i had told them before they walk in to be quiet & he was asleep.

The noise in our house seems to travel. His baby monitor was picking up voices, so i know he would hear it. Our room is at the end of the hall.

I wouldn't say i'm say this is a rule but it's more please be repectful of the fact that one of my kids in bed.

My sil rules are don't ring after 7 & no -one aloud to vistor when the kids are going to sleep.

We having touble with the inlaws & hubby told them they don't respect our wishes & they expect us to respect theirs.

When I stayed at my SIL's house a while ago, obviously it's her house so can't make rules. However FIL was being super loud and rousing the other kids around when I was trying to get DS to sleep. He is fine once asleep usually, it's just getting him to sleep when there is fun happening is a different story. I got annoyed at FIL, mind you he was drunk anyway. SIL totally agreed with me anyway. I think no matter where you are people should have a little respect for children/babies sleeping smile

DS - Nov 2008 & DD - Feb 2012

Do I have rules for my friends and family....ummmm no because they are adults, I am hardly going to set out rules and then discipline them if they break them. Being quiet when children are asleep is common curtesy, people sometime forget but my moto is you wake my child up you can be the one to put them back to bed tongue

Nope no rules here, our kids have grown up to know that when it's bed time it's bed time regardless of noise! When we have shindigs at our place we never ask people to be quiet. The kids normally go to bed a bit later when we have people over anyway so are ready to sleep once they are put to bed.

Every family is different though and people should respect your wishes smile

Do I have rules for my friends and family....ummmm no because they are adults, I am hardly going to set out rules and then discipline them if they break them. Being quiet when children are asleep is common curtesy, people sometime forget but my moto is you wake my child up you can be the one to put them back to bed tongue

I agree....I don't think it's right to ask people over and then tell them to be quiet.......Why bother asking them to come over if it's such a big ordeal?
No offence but your DS might not be such a light sleeper if He got used to a bit of noise.....It's not going to get any better for Him if You don't let Him get used to it!
Each to their own I suppose?
xx
i don't have rules as such but i guess but i just need a lil quite while i put them down then they are fine.

if i'm having guests over then i wouldn't say to them that they need to be quite and the kids can't play/have fun. it would make things uncomfortable and wouldn't be a fun environment if everyone had to tiptoe around.

anyway when there is an occasion i let the kids stay up a bit later than usual so by the time they go to bed they are tired and worn out so just go to sleep.

The day i broke up with normal was the first day of my magical life...

They were asked to come at 6 p.m no later than 6:30 since little man ( who is almost 6 months) goes to bed at 7. They came 10 minutes before 7 and i just couldn't keep him awake.

Little man is a light sleeper during the day & night time it so hard to get him to go to sleep & stay asleep when he overtired.

Little master a bomb could go off and he wouldn't wake up. He stayed up till 8:40 which is way past his bed time & he wasn't happy about that.

I remember 1 time we were up at my sil for dinner & it was 7:00 & she told us to go home.

My sil ask if they could come over (on the phone) & i said Yes of course you all can. I even said to her that little man hard to get to sleep & he may wake up with anyone yelling or running down the hall. She said we be quiet. Her 3 kids are quiet and even her step daughter was quiet.

It was the 2 brothers yelling.

It feels like they want us to respect them in their home but they don't give us the respect back.

I have said that in the past to hubby & i even said that to sil you wake him you can stay up till he decides to go to bed again. She told me your kid your problem

only one here - don't play the piano as its right outside the bedroom door.

The kids are fine. They have been exposed to noise while sleeping from birth. I always make sure the house had noise when sleeping and take them out places at night.

only one here - don't play the piano as its right outside the bedroom door.

The kids are fine. They have been exposed to noise while sleeping from birth. I always make sure the house had noise when sleeping and take them out places at night.

We go out at night & they fine. We go to our mum's places for tea. And i don't care about noise but it when we at home my youngest is having problems.

We haven't done anything different with the boys except that we like it to be quiet at night while they sleeping.

Like i said my first son is a great sleep & my second isn't.

It just hurts me that they didn't care & my sil turned it around on me.

Now i second guessing myself.

Sign in to follow this topic