Huggies Forum

Play group Lock Rss

I have just been thinking it would be nice to meet some other mums seeing as most of my friends will be a while off having kids, my dd is 8 months so probably a bit small yet but What age would you take your child to a play group?
Yeah you might find that your daughter would be younger than a lot of other kids there, but if you want to go to meet others, then go!

You might find that there are other groups/activities in your area where you could meet people too and where there might be more little ones, like coffee groups, Mainly Music, gym classes, swimming lessons, library activities, etc. It will depend on what you have in your area, but where I am, most coffee groups are full of people with babies under 1 year, and there are some library activities which are geared at under 2s only. The gym classes and the swimming lessons are always grouped by age starting at 6 months, but they can work out to be quite expensive.

I have just been thinking it would be nice to meet some other mums seeing as most of my friends will be a while off having kids, my dd is 8 months so probably a bit small yet but What age would you take your child to a play group?

Hi

Playgroup is great and is for babies from birth to age 5 so dont worry about your bub being too young smile

My first DD was probably about 14 months, my second went from when she was 4 weeks old and there was lots of bubs under 1 year of age. Its a great way to meet other mums and its as much for mums as it is for the bubs.

Call the Playgroups Association or have a look at their website and you can look up groups in your area.
Hi smile we just started last week and dd is 18months but you and your dd would still benefit From going. My dd was a bit young for the craft they did but we just played with playdough while they did craft but I did meet alot of other mums so it would be good if that's what you're after.

The other thing I'd suggest is mothers group if there's one around you- maybe ask the clinic nurse? I've been going to mine since dd was 8 weeks- we now meet at each others places once a week, it's more relaxed than playgroup (ie no craft just free play) but its awesome for meeting friends!

Playgroup is my sanity savour!!! We started when DD was 6mths. I had 12mths off work, so figured I had to make the most of that time. She loved watching the other kids. DS started at 2wks!!! And there is also another few babies there now.

Great place to meet like minded people.

Enjoy smile
Playgroup is my sanity savour!!! We started when DD was 6mths. I had 12mths off work, so figured I had to make the most of that time. She loved watching the other kids. DS started at 2wks!!! And there is also another few babies there now.

Great place to meet like minded people.

Enjoy smile

I preferred mothers group when dd was that ages, I just found some like minded mummies in my area and we all met up once a week for coffee or go to the park sometimes to each others houses!

Maybe if you search on Facebook for something in your area, like: mummies in brisbane or Brisbane mums groups.... Try all different combos for your area tho smile

Hi,
There are usually lots of babies at the playgroup I went to - alot of people join when their baby is past that newborn. But then alot come with their newborns too, especially if they already have an older child.
And yes, government health clinics will give you mother's group contacts for local mums. And libraries usually have baby reading session etc that you could go along too.
Good luck, it is fantastic meeting other mums and sharing this special time.

Peta R.
I went to new mothers group run by child health nurse and when that stopped a group of us started up our own playgroup - it's great as we all still keep in touch, our kids are all about same age and for a small fee get all the benefits of being registered wth Playgroup Australia.

We put all the baabies on the floor and take turns to bring food for ourselves and then have a good chat.

Definitely get in contact with Playgroup Australia - My Mum was a stay at home Mum and she is still friends with other Mum's she met at Playgroup 26 years later!
Sign in to follow this topic