Huggies Forum

Car accident question Lock Rss

Hi ladies and gents! I'm trying to help a friend but I need to get my facts straight and thought where else but huggies lol

My friend damaged a car when reversing out of a parking spot. Her and the owner of the car have agreed not to go through insurance and just fix it privately. The owner has provided a quote that my friend is concerned is a little steep...can we ask him for three quotes? Im pretty sure he doesn't have to give them though? It's more of a courtesy thing, isn't it?

I'd just hate for her to get taken for a ride sad does anyone know of a site to check out about this kind of thing?

TIA smile

No he's not obligated, if anything it's faster/easier/less risk for him to go through insurance. That said, it can't hurt to ask; i know i would. And your friend can be honest and just say that she wasn't expecting it to cost that much, is it possible to check out a few more places. At best, he finds something cheaper, at worst he says no, deal with it or go through insurance.

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds,
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.

Hi TallulahBelle smile

Just wanted to know first up what state is your friend in? diff laws for diff states.

No he's not obligated, if anything it's faster/easier/less risk for him to go through insurance. That said, it can't hurt to ask; i know i would. And your friend can be honest and just say that she wasn't expecting it to cost that much, is it possible to check out a few more places. At best, he finds something cheaper, at worst he says no, deal with it or go through insurance.

Thank you smile I thought as much sad I did think it would be more of a hassle for him going through insurance- I thought going through them you would HAVE to provide three quotes plus it would take longer- don't know where I'm getting that from though lol ah well, she might have to ring him with her sweetest phone manner and ask him- can't hurt I suppose smile

Thank you x

Hi TallulahBelle smile

Just wanted to know first up what state is your friend in? diff laws for diff states.

Hi! NSW - forgot about different laws everywhere lol

Hi ladies and gents! I'm trying to help a friend but I need to get my facts straight and thought where else but huggies lol

My friend damaged a car when reversing out of a parking spot. Her and the owner of the car have agreed not to go through insurance and just fix it privately. The owner has provided a quote that my friend is concerned is a little steep...can we ask him for three quotes? Im pretty sure he doesn't have to give them though? It's more of a courtesy thing, isn't it?

I'd just hate for her to get taken for a ride sad does anyone know of a site to check out about this kind of thing?

TIA smile

You're correct he doesn't *have* to give the three quotes if you are sorting it out privately and not going through insurance. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask for three quotes if your friend really does think that the quote is excessive, but from his perspective, it's wasting his time to get quotes and it's delaying the time until his car actually gets fixed, so he may not be happy to do so. He's not the one who is at fault (by the sounds of it) so if he doesn't want to bother getting more quotes then he may just say he'd prefer to go through the insurers.

Similarly with your friend, if she is not happy with the quotes he is providing, then she might want to reconsider and just go through the insurers.

Sorry, but no - the other driver does not have to give three quotes. It is more of a courtesy to show that the price is fair and reasonable but not obligatory.

BUT the quote should be in writing, from the company providing the repairs.

She can kindly ask the other driver to provide another quote, or otherwise ask if she can approach her own repairer for a quote but that's about it. The other driver could decline and she would still have to pay the original quote.

Sucks hey?

Thanks for that- it does suck lol I don't think the quote is too bad to be honest for these days! Maybe I can get the quote and take it to local guy and just see if they say it's pretty reasonable just for peace of mind smile

Thank you smile

You're correct he doesn't *have* to give the three quotes if you are sorting it out privately and not going through insurance. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask for three quotes if your friend really does think that the quote is excessive, but from his perspective, it's wasting his time to get quotes and it's delaying the time until his car actually gets fixed, so he may not be happy to do so. He's not the one who is at fault (by the sounds of it) so if he doesn't want to bother getting more quotes then he may just say he'd prefer to go through the insurers.

Similarly with your friend, if she is not happy with the quotes he is providing, then she might want to reconsider and just go through the insurers.

Yes, true true! She might drive more careful from now on wink it's such a hassle!!

Yeah with car repairs I have found its kind of like imagine how much something will be... times it be three and that is how much you will have to pay lol.

Wonder if any huggies ladies have panel beater hubbies who could give you a general idea about the quote vs the damage to the car? Save you the trip cool

Lol that sounds about right about the price!! Like the dentist laugh

Great idea about husbands- I will have to get more info on the damage- honestly though looking at $100 an hour labour plus parts and paint I think the quotes ok I just felt better asking around rather then seeing her pay it without checking!

Thanks for your input x

Great idea about husbands- I will have to get more info on the damage- honestly though looking at $100 an hour labour plus parts and paint I think the quotes ok I just felt better asking around rather then seeing her pay it without checking!

I'm in NZ but I just had to get repairs done to my car (not an accident, just regular wear and tear) and yep it was $100 per hour for labour plus parts PLUS TAX.
I dinged a car by accident when a gust of wind caught my door as I opened it. the ding was barely the size of my little fingernail. the guy said he'd be in touch and I got on with it... He ended up going through insurance cos I think he was scared I wouldn't pay and I was told by the insurance company that the price was $1500!!! apparently the paint was special, the ding was over some body moulding and they had to strip back and paint two doors! I was stunned! lucky I just had to pay my excess but it was a very big repair fro a very small ding. Might be cheaper to go through insurance.

If you fancy a laugh, visit my blog which is basically a collection of observations and rantings about motherhood, people and the mundane. See www.callmepicky.blogspot.com.au

This happened to me a few years ago, I reversed into a girl's car and I got a huge dent in my car but her car was only left with a tiny scratch on the paint about the size of a 5 cent piece. I spoke to her and we decided to do it privately. That same day I went home and told my housemate and she ended up being best friends with the girl I reversed into to. The girl ended up telling me I owed them $600, I stupidly trusted her because she was my housemates friend, Only to find out a few months later they sold the car with the scratch still on it and pocketed the money I gave them.

I would never ever do something like that privately again but if the two people live in the same area maybe she could suggest to him that she has her own Mechanic she would like him to get a quote from and see what he says then.
Sign in to follow this topic