Huggies Forum

so who watched 60 minutes? Rss

cant be bothered deleting the previous one.... stoopid slow internet

And according to my parents... they were a lot more lenient than my grandparents were. Scary considering I watched dad belt my brother with the buckle end if his belt across the hands and split the skin!

We used to get that story too...
Our dad used to hit us with the buckle too & it would leave huge welts on the back of our legs & our bums for days.. i can remember not being able to lay down, only able to lay on my side.. I cant even remember what we used to get whalloped for. cant of been that bad.

We also used to get 'wait till your dad gets home'... ergh. She rarely smacked us, she mostly left it for dad.

off topic... but.. is it??? where?

WA my friends eldest will be four at the end of the year and will have to start next year. She was told by child health nurse and said she got a letter from two of the kindys here telling her it was comulsary next year and they were taking early submissions for children who turn for at the end of this year.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Please excuse my grammar and spelling mistakes im too tired to be bothered fixing them. Lol

(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

noddy, i totally and utterly agree with you. i think its getting out of control. i didnt say i wanted smacking made illegal. i just dont want people to smack. social change has the potential to change without law, but it usually takes a law to make people take notice. how many people just do what they know... they believe what the papers say, they believe what the gov says. its these people that need the laws because they dont have the capacity to think outside the square. unfortunately the rest suffer...

Thats what I meant at the end of my other post when I said we need more education but most importantly we need people to listen.
We can crap on all we like but if people are going to ignore it, say its too hard or not care then it wont get us anywhere. I just dont like that because of the dunces of the world the rest of us get stomped into submission as well.

(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

WA my friends eldest will be four at the end of the year and will have to start next year. She was told by child health nurse and said she got a letter from two of the kindys here telling her it was comulsary next year and they were taking early submissions for children who turn for at the end of this year.

really? We are in WA as well & that's not the info that we have gotten.. DD is in preprimary this year, which isnt compulsory in this state, but will be from next year.. 4 year old kindy still wont be compulsory according to the schools.

Weird how they cant seem to get their info straight! I know that its all got to do with the roll out of the national curriculum, which is fabulous for people like us that travel a lot.

She may need to check up on that with her local school, cause it doesnt sound right to me. 4 yr old kindy isnt even compulsory in the eastern states.

thanks for that tho wink

The thing is that we are all so controlled and have so many decisions made for us that it doesn't come down to choice anymore. The world is going to end up like the George Orwell novel 1984. Im sock of there having to be a new law to stop people from doing things they know they shouldn't do. Think about the laws for car seats, government incentives for immunization, 4 yr old kindy is becoming compulsory, schools banning certain food and holidays. We are taking more and more steps towards the point where there are cameras in every room of every home to make sure we aren't doing the wrong thing.

And like I said I dont agree with smacking, I think alot of people go to far.
Did I say I think thats what the majority do? Cause thats what I meant. And I draw that conclusion from talking with other parents, seeing other parents on action, my step mum is a ta and you'd be surprised what kids tell her and even from my own childhood and that of my closest friends. So basically from personal experience. I've never seen anyone belt their children like I saw on 60 minutes with the exception of my father towards my brother but even then it wasn't as violent or often as that.

People do not admit that they smack. The simple fact that you know of one person who smacks in a terrible way implies that this would translate to its commonality. I don't think it is helpful to say probably most people don't do it, unless you know that for sure.

Believing in different forms of discipline isn't about controlling anyone - it is about protecting kids. Why should adults get to play around with "learning about themselves", discovering kind ways to parent etc at the expense of a child's safety and mental wellbeing? I have always believed that children have a right to be parented properly - they never asked to be born and don't owe their parents anything.

Kids can't choose these things so you cannot obstain from responsibility by saying it is the parents choice.

I don't understand in the slightest why people think parents have any "right" to harm their kids; and I don't get the fixation on feeling it is too much control to make it illegal or wrong to hurt children. Are we all under the control of Big Brother because we aren't allowed to speed? Because we aren't allowed to abuse our partners? Because we aren't allowed to have slaves? Because we aren't allowed to marry several different people? Aren't those things about protecting human rights?
Sign in to follow this topic