OC1246 wrote:
I only buy unhomogonised milk from local producers if I don't have raw. Pasturisation also detroys all the good bits in the milk too and also detroys the enzymes that help digest the milk. Thats why some people can't drink pasturised cows milk but are totally fine with raw milk.
Sure there is a risk, but their udders aren't that close to their bum. Same end, but very different places. Everything should be washed and sanitised first (including the udder) and you would be hard pressed to get faeces in the milk in the space between washing the udder and hooking up the milking machine. You are talking a space of about 3 seconds.....
They started pasturising it because the dairies were in cities. The cows were in very unhygienic conditions. It was easier to pasturise then to have a clean dairy. In other places where raw milk is legal, there are rigorous safety standards, ongoing testing etc. There is no reason why we couldn't do something similar.

The raw milk laws are not so much to protect the consumer, but to protect the large dairy corporations. wink

If the government are serious about raw milk being dangerous, it makes no sense that they lifted the ban on importing raw cheese. Roquefort is made in the Alps in France with milk coming from small family dairies no different then what we have here. Why is their raw milk ok and ours not? They certainly have a lot more control over the safety standards here.

We just need rigorous safety standards for the dairies, regular testing and the people buying it just need to be aware that there is a risk. A small risk, but a risk all the same. It was made illegal to sell raw milk in 2003, I can't think of any major food poisoning issues from raw milk that have cropped up in my memory anyway. I can certainly remember the Garibaldi incident though.

Really though, I would rather take the small risk of drinking raw milk from a dairy I know or from my own cow. Where the cows and calves are looked after and treated properly, where you know how clean it is and how they clean it. I would much rather do this, then support an industry where their aim is to make animals produce as much milk as possible (and their aim is to increase it) from as few cows as possible. Where the hygiene isn't as important, because they are just going to kill the bacteria anyway. The milk that is sold in shops is so far from the original product its ridiculous.

And don't laugh at my rant!! This is a proper stamping my feet tirade!!!!

Completely agree!! im glad im not the only one who thinks like this!

Thanks everyone for you opinions smile