Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Private or Public school how did YOU decide???

Private or Public school how did YOU decide??? Lock Rss

How did you decide whether to send your child to a private or public school? Assuming you can afford either.

I'm not after a debate just wondering how you decided for you??

Thanks smile

Forever, for always and no matter what

DH and I went to public high schools and we both have decent jobs and school was actually the reason we met.

More than likely our kids will go to public schools - the teachers have the same qualifications, I believe the success of the child depends on how much they want to succeed and I don't think the cost is worth it in private schools and figure that the extra 10 - 15k a private school would cost would buy a lot of tutoring, extra curricular activities and other outside school education and experiences. I also don't want my daughter to be forced to take religious education and I want her in a co-ed school

That said, I will be shopping around for a public school with a good reputation.

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

our kids go to a private school.

the public schools in our area dont have a very good reputation, nor results, so was a no-brainer for us...

they have only started at a private school this year tho - one in yr 8 & the other in pre primary. We have always sent the older one to public schools, but we have always lived in areas that have had great public schools... this move, not so much.
Chiliwoman wrote:
our kids go to a private school.

the public schools in our area dont have a very good reputation, nor results, so was a no-brainer for us...

they have only started at a private school this year tho - one in yr 8 & the other in pre primary. We have always sent the older one to public schools, but we have always lived in areas that have had great public schools... this move, not so much.

I can understand that. If the public schools were questionable then I'd consider private. But as we live in a metro area we have plenty of choice

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Thanks for all the replies I really appreciate it.

I'm happy with them taking religious studies from what I'm away it's only a small part of the curriculum. Hubby and I both went to private schools well kinda. I did P-4 in a public school and 4-10 by distance education which i guess is still public but a whole lot different.

The money factor well this particular schools fees are $500 a term so it's actually a whole lot less then we will be paying for kindergarten next year and when DD2 starts school as well it's only $200 extra per term and I will be back at work by then so money won't be a problem..

My only concern about public schools is there are only big ones in our area and most don't have a good reputation there is only 2 that i'd consider and neither are very close they are both at least a 10minute drive from our house. I guess i'm worried about her being in a big school but I honestly don't know much about schooling I'm a complete novice so any info is great lol

I worked out what I wanted out of education so looked at schools that were close to what we wanted. We found they were a couple of local public schools (max of 50 kids in the whole school) and a couple of independent schools like waldorf. After considering the curriculum, playgroup, expense and outcome, we decided on homeschooling.
I went to a public school and i think i got a rather good education and an excellent job. Im planning on sending DD to a public primary school they're quite decent here were we live, im also thinking about a private school for when she gose to secondary, there's nothing wrong with the high school here but the new grammer school has really good program's, but of course that's if i can afford it.
dh and i both attended public schools. his was fine but mine was crap.

i wasnt happy with any of the public schools around our area for our kids so started looking into private school. once we started looking we discovered that most schools were cheaper than what we paid in childcare fees and affordable.

we were concerned about the religious aspect, not that they learn, but that it would be shoved down their throat.

we eventually found a school that teaches both evolution and religion / creation and was within our budget. we both loved the school and thought the principal was excellent. ds starts next year.

the only downside is the uniform is pretty darn expensive.
I am leaning towards private primary school but it will depend on where we are and what the local schools are like. My reason for this is because I went to public primary school then off to a private high school only to find the religion was all foreign and I felt completely left behind and lost about it all. I guess it is not the bee all and end all if you don't do so great in religion but it was more the sense of feeling so overwhelmed and everyone else was totally cruising through it. I only stayed a year at that school then begged to be moved to a public high school which probably wasn't a good move in my situation.

Obviously it would have been different if we had been raised with a little bit of religion in our family I would have had a small understanding of it all, but I went in with no idea.

That's just my experience
Tutu&Lulu wrote:

My only concern about public schools is there are only big ones in our area and most don't have a good reputation there is only 2 that i'd consider and neither are very close they are both at least a 10minute drive from our house. I guess i'm worried about her being in a big school but I honestly don't know much about schooling I'm a complete novice so any info is great lol

hi smile

yep the size of the local schools was a big consideration for us too, as all 3 of the closest public primary schools are over 1000 kids.

I chose the school I did (catholic school) as I did one of my teaching pracs there and absolutely loved the sense of community- it had a positive vibe about it and 3 years on and 2 kids at school now we are still very happy smile

I am not overly religious but found that the way they teach is more based on values and morals not as much preaching as some other private religious schools, if that makes sense.

Oh and both DH and I went to public schools all the way through to yr 12

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

jazool wrote:
hi smile

yep the size of the local schools was a big consideration for us too, as all 3 of the closest public primary schools are over 1000 kids.

I chose the school I did (catholic school) as I did one of my teaching pracs there and absolutely loved the sense of community- it had a positive vibe about it and 3 years on and 2 kids at school now we are still very happy smile

I am not overly religious but found that the way they teach is more based on values and morals not as much preaching as some other private religious schools, if that makes sense.

hey i was hoping you were on lol. We are still thinking about that school and I really love the sound of it, I'm just a bit worried that I will get my hopes up and chances are she wouldn't get a spot because she isn't on the enrolment list yet.

I've thought about K (hopefully u get the suburb i'm getting at lol) and it's the one she'd go to if going publically I just don't nooooo lol

Tutu&Lulu wrote:
jazool wrote:
hi smile

hey i was hoping you were on lol. We are still thinking about that school and I really love the sound of it, I'm just a bit worried that I will get my hopes up and chances are she wouldn't get a spot because she isn't on the enrolment list yet.

I've thought about K (hopefully u get the suburb i'm getting at lol) and it's the one she'd go to if going publically I just don't nooooo lol

i do know which one you mean and have heard mixed reviews. I did some volunteer work there and wasnt overly impressed, but that was a while ago.

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

Sign in to follow this topic