Huggies Forum

Cots - drop side question Rss

MWD wrote:
Not sure but I've seen a lot of this lately too, especially with some of the newer brands.

Couldn't think of anything worse than not being able to drop the side being the short arse I am!

I'm a short ass too but I never dropped the side on the cot

www.facebook.com/LeReveWithSally

An old one. A friend gave it to me. It was made by Endeavour Nursery Furniture in 1999 which I found out when it needed new sliders. It has Winnie the Pooh carved into the ends of it smile

MWD wrote:
How vintage it has pooh carved into it! Well with the Boori I have to lift my boobies up and over it then get on tip toes to still ever so slightly drop her in lol!

laugh That mental image made me laugh

I did some research (Google, so it must be true!)

Seems they've been banned in the US, because of multiple deaths. They are not banned here as far as I can ascertain. But Toys r Us don't stock drop sides, and many manufacturers are phasing them
out. I suppose they are worried about recalls, as happened in the US.

The concern is that over time through constant use the mechanism degrades and can fail, the baby can be trapped and suffocate.

I have one, and the mechanism is sturdy and very stiff to use. I don't bother most of the time. It was bought in 2010. I can't imagine my son could activate it as I have to use both hands and a fair bit of strength to do so.
JellybeanIcecream wrote:
I did some research (Google, so it must be true!)

Seems they've been banned in the US, because of multiple deaths. They are not banned here as far as I can ascertain. But Toys r Us don't stock drop sides, and many manufacturers are phasing them
out. I suppose they are worried about recalls, as happened in the US.

The concern is that over time through constant use the mechanism degrades and can fail, the baby can be trapped and suffocate.

I have one, and the mechanism is sturdy and very stiff to use. I don't bother most of the time. It was bought in 2010. I can't imagine my son could activate it as I have to use both hands and a fair bit of strength to do so.

Yeah I heard the same thing. I think someons actually posted something on huggies about it thinking that it would effect us in AUS and NZ.

We hardly ever use ours either. We leave it in the lower position until bubs gets big enought that we have to put it back up.

Both our cots are Boori and DF and I checked that even if it did fail and the rail fell to floor level there would still be a good 20cm gap between the top of the mattress and the rail. Even with the base at newborn height and if the rail was to fall to to the floor there is still ample space. We even looked at the situation that kids may be crawling under the cot and the rail dropped to the lower level, there's still a good 13cm between the floor and the bottom of the rail. The only way we could see that it would ba an issue is if a kid was crawling underneath the cot and the rail fell all the way to the floor. Mind you, the rail would probably completely fall off if this was to happen. Well it could break the kids neck if the kid was in the wrong place at the wrong time!

I guess it just depends on the ratios of the cot.

I noticed that alot of the cheaper brands were doing it first and I've noticed in the past that Boori have started making some of the cots in their cheaper range(Boori Urban and Boori Waratah) without a dropside.

The worst part for me would be changing the sheets! It's hard enough with the dropside down!

We had a drop sided cot with dd and it was Loud and annoying.

We got a new cot with DS, from babies r us, it doesn't have a drop side and its great! I'm short- 163cm and have no problems with reaching in!
This cot feel 100times more sturdy then our first cot

Mine is drop side but the parts you pull in to move it up/down and let go to lock it in place broke!
It was always difficult to use anyway.
Luckily it's also on wheels so we have it with the drop side against the wall & pull it out to put ds in then wheel it back to the wall & lock the wheels. Kind of annoying when ds is refusing to go to sleep and I have to do it several times.

Ours is drop side purchased just over 3 years ago now. It's a kingparrot

One*Lucky*Mummy wrote:
We had a drop sided cot with dd and it was Loud and annoying.

We got a new cot with DS, from babies r us, it doesn't have a drop side and its great! I'm short- 163cm and have no problems with reaching in!
This cot feel 100times more sturdy then our first cot

I'm 150cm so I think I'd need a step if I didn't have a drop side smile Even with the drop side it was still a struggle when I lowered it.
Im exactly the same mwd!!

I've gotta hook my boobs over the rail and still had to plop dd in!

Im less than 150cm tall so no way could i use a cot without a drop side unless it was low and short sides. I struggle reaching into porta cots.

Our cot mechanism you have to use two hand to press studs in and lift the side before it will drop.

I don't get how the side dropping could trap a head though? They're straight and flat, wouldn't they need to hook onto or grab the head to trap it? No doubt it would hurt but i can't see how it gets stuck?!

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Nice to know there are fellow shorties out there smile
I'm not short short, about 165cm, but I'd be lost without my dropside, mine's like Noddy's, with 2 buttons to press in to drop it, and they have to click in to be up, I learnt to do it quietly once DS was asleep in the cot.
Sign in to follow this topic