Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Really disappointed in DD1's School

Really disappointed in DD1's School Rss

The school told the students today which class they will be in next year. DD1 has struggled in her first year of school and has been diagnosed with generalised anxiety and separation anxiety. The school is aware of this and I'm am very disappointed that she has been separated from her best friend for grade 1. Only one girl from her prep class will be in her new grade next year and it's not even a girl she is friends with. This is devastating as I am already worried about her coping next year with the change, but not having her bestie in her class is just a nightmare. As recently as Friday I couldn't get her to go. We were at the school gate and she ran back to the car tears streaming down her face and panicked. It also has a big impact at home as she has really bad behaviour due to her anxiety. She is also hard to take places sometimes as she can be unpredictable. She doesn't need another reason not to like school. Helping DD1 is a long term process. How can the school be so neglectful to her situation? Tomorrow I'll be phoning the assistant principal and asking what can be done.

Oh no! Your poor DD sad

I really hope you can work something out. You would have thought the school would take it into consideration.

"Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do."

good luck Pinkie, hope the school is able to work something out for her

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

O no! Thats terrible. The school knows everything thats going on so they should have been more considerate. I hope your phone call can get them to reconsider and work something out.

She sees the schools social worker and a private physiologist. If they can't do anything? Well we are going to be in for a horrible year and I worry that her anxiety will get a lot worse. She shouldn't be separated from her best friend she's only 6 sad We've been told it's okay that she relies on her friend and vice versa. I know she won't cope being isolated from all of her friends.

My2QTpies wrote:
that happened to me when I was six, I got separated from ALL my friends that I had from kindy and the first year etc.
It was hard the first term as I didn't really know anyone in my class but then by term 2 I was making good friends with the other girls in class and made another new group of friends.
my mum pointed out to me that I could still see my other friends at interval, lunch and afternoon break.
hope you can sort it smile

We've only spoken positive to her about it, not making a big deal just saying you'll be able to play at lunch. I know though it won't be that easy for her and I expect to see it manifest bad behaviour as it starts to worry her. She's a complicated kid.

Aww that's sad sad Hope something can get sorted. At my ds's school, each week for the last 5 weeks there have been kindy transition sessions held, and part of the point of these sessions is to see how the kids interact with each other so to help place them. Did your dd's school do anything similar to gage where children will fit in?

missy_83h wrote:
Aww that's sad sad Hope something can get sorted. At my ds's school, each week for the last 5 weeks there have been kindy transition sessions held, and part of the point of these sessions is to see how the kids interact with each other so to help place them. Did your dd's school do anything similar to gage where children will fit in?

Well this is for grade 1 so I'm surprised her prep class teacher didn't say something or the assistant principal for that matter.

Pinkie I was just wondering- does your dd's friend's mum feel the same way about them being separated? Have you spoken to her about it? If she does, perhaps if you both approach the school about it, it will make your case stronger, so to speak? Just a thought anyway.

I really hope everything works out for the best for her, it's must be very distressing for both of you sad
Yeah her mum wants the girls to be in the same class, but I'm sure she'll cope fine. I get the concept of mixing it up but my DD1 sort of has to be the exception as it will do more harm than good.

Poor darling. Could there be a reason why the school split them up (i.e. too chatty etc.). Otherwise, I'm sure they will work something out if you ask.

All the schools I have worked at take friendship groups into consideration when deciding upon the classes for the following year. Most times, the children get to actually list 3 friends or so that they would like to be with in order of preference and teachers try to organise it so they are with at least 1 friend.

I have faced this issue from the reverse side this year with my DS1 who is going into year 4 next year. My boy made friends in grade 1 (he was at a different school for prep) with a little guy who has anxiety and global dyslexia. My son is the only friend he made and thankfully my boy has a large number of friends so includes him in the wider social group. At his mums request my son has been with this little boy for grade 1,2 and 3. I noticed this year the friendship was becoming difficult for my DS and the teacher commented that my son is always completing his work really quickly to get over to help his mate. He has become very attached to my DS and becomes really distressed when my son is absent or wants to do something he doesn't. The teacher explained that the other boys mum had requested the boys be together again and I explained that I didn't want this. For me three years was what I believe to be a reasonable time for him to be the main support for his friend but seeing the negative impact was hard. I feel terrible that I said no but wasn't really sure what else to do. I hope they sort something out for your DD as I know my DS friend wouldn't have coped any earlier and I'm not even sure he will now sad
Sign in to follow this topic