Huggies Forum

Sydney family trip advice Rss

Hi all, I'm planning a trip to sydney for my kids birthdays (turning 3 and 5) and am after any recommendations for attractions to not miss with kids that age.

I was thinking taronga zoo, aquarium, sydney eye tower, luna park...

Is there anything that your family really enjoyed that I've missed or anything above that wasn't that great?

Also there is so much accomodation, can anyone recommend from experience a good place to stay for a family while still keeping the cost down?

Thank you!
This is just my thoughts so please take it with a grain of salt, but I don't reckon taronga zoo is that great for young kids. It's a big zoo so it's an exhausting day trudging around to see animals from a distance. It's location is unique though. I just prefer up close animal encounters with little kids, preferably if you can touch the animals. Featherdale wildlife park in Sydney is good for that (its out of the city). I really like the aquarium though I think it is really well laid out and great for young kids, it's visually amazing. From the aquarium you could walk around darling harbour and there's a great kids playground there.

The powerhouse museum could be fun. Or a ferry ride (if you don't want to go anywhere there are ferry trips which just circle the harbour for a bit so you get the experience)

There's a website http://www.whatsonsydney.com/ you could see if any special events/activities are on at the time you're visiting.

Not sure on accommodation sorry.
i have lived in sydney my whole life and have 3 kids so i will tell you my opinion.

sydney sux lol in terms of attractions. taronga zoo, is always having work done, half the time the animals aren't even there and it is very big so it's hard to see all inone day, and the kids get tried.

aquarim/wildlife park are ok, nothing special but i personally think way over priced.

sydney tower is ok, once again nothing special. it is basically a look out.

personally i think you are better off doing things like-horse riding in centenial park, botanical gardens/opera house walk,sydney observatory, exploring the rocks,ferry ride or cruise of sydney harbour, exploring cockle bay, imax theater, urban jungle adventure park.

that;s all i can think of now. these things won't cost you an arm and a leg either.

The day i broke up with normal was the first day of my magical life...

We camped at cockatoo island in the middle of the harbour n loved it. Kids loved the aquarium and wild life park. There's not too much at Luna park for lil kids. It's easy to lose a few hours at a park that has a water fountain as well. Ferrys rock lol

Coolasschris wrote:
We camped at cockatoo island in the middle of the harbour n loved it. Kids loved the aquarium and wild life park. There's not too much at Luna park for lil kids. It's easy to lose a few hours at a park that has a water fountain as well. Ferrys rock lol

yes, cockatoo island camping, thumbs up for that smile

The day i broke up with normal was the first day of my magical life...

Thanks for your ideas guys, it's all helpful.

I'm not a huge fan of sydney tbh SMS, it's always a bit of a relief to leave but it's still interesting to visit for a short time. My kids have never been on a train or a decent sized ferry and just the excitement of going on a holiday is enough for me. I'd like to go to qld but I need something lower key as I'm saving for a friends wedding overseas. We also have some family there who I never see, one great uncle who is 100 and hasn't met my kids yet! So sydney it is. I appreciate those suggestions, thank you.

I remember going to the aquarium and loved it as a kid. And thanks for your honesty about taronga, I think I'd heard that before and we have a zoo at home so I'd rather not spend a whole day doing that if it's not worthwhile.

I'll have a look at cockatoo island, thanks!
Little Rascals wrote:
Thanks for your ideas guys, it's all helpful.

I'm not a huge fan of sydney tbh SMS, !

me either
and we Iive in the outskirts of sydney

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

I love Sydney! Ferry is a great idea smile walk around circular key and see all the buskers. I wanted to.come in here and second featherdale wildlife park! That's a great day out.

Will you be hiring a car or going by public transport?

How far from Sydney would you be willing to.travel? The blue mountains is great too- scenic railway and the three sisters could be fun for the kids smile

We will drive there but try to use public transport as much as possible . Or whatever's easiest to be honest. How long does it take to get to katoomba from syd? Still trying to work out how many nights to stay. The featherdale wildlife park looks interesting
From the CBD you'd probably need about 2 - 2 1/2 hours to get to katoomba, depending on traffic. It isn't the nicest drive (you go on the m4 motorway) but if you did Featherdale you could do that on the way as its in that direction.
Hey Rascals! What a great birthday gift for your kidlets, I love presents that are about making memories. I'm not sure on hotels as I've never stayed in the city with the kids but I'd go onto tripdvisor.com.au / hotelscombined.com.au / expedia.com.au etc that way you can specify what you're after, compare rates and read reviews (most important!).

As for things to do, my 2 must do's for kids would be:
The Powerhouse Museum - they have interactive areas for young kids which are fantastic. Lots of buttons to press, switches to flick, a zero gravity space station - your boy will love it! It's not to pricey either; $12 for an adult, $6 for kids. Well worth it!
Sydney Aquarium - DD1 loves going though the tunnels under the sharks and rays and playing in the touchtanks. They feed the sharks, fish, dugongs at set times so check the timetable beforehand.

I probably wouldn't bother with Luna Park, it's pretty disappointing and I don't think there's much for the littlies. I personally wouldn't bother with Taronga at their ages either it's exhausting enough for adults lol.

The Opera House does 'Baby Prom' at various times through the year which is aimed towards 2-5yo's and they also have 'Creative Play' during school holidays. Not sure when you're planning on going but if the weather's nice Balmoral Beach is gorgeous and great for kids as the waters quite flat. It's one of my favourite Beaches! (It's prob around 10 mins drive from the CBD.) Of course there's Bondi but that's a lot more commercial and nowhere near as pretty.

Featherdale is great (about 40min drive from the CBD) It's not too large but plenty to see. They give the kids a map and a 'passport' a the start and they can stamp it at different checkpoints which is a bit of fun too! (I'm only 10 minutes away from there so feel free to stop in for a cuppa! grin ) Oh and go on shopadocket.com.au (or google discount vouchers) sometimes they'll have adults at kids prices or free kids entry. Actually they usually have vouchers for the aquarium on there too. smile

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds,
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.

Sign in to follow this topic