Huggies Forum

Playing outside Lock Rss

Hey all,

When your kids play outside, what do they like to do?

We have bikes, scooters, skipping ropes, chalk, skateboards, water guns (in summer), bubbles.

So yeah, just wondering how your kids entertain themselves.

My kids are 3 & 5.
My kids love to fight and whinge lol...they are 6 and 2 (almost 7 and 3).

But seriously they play on the swings and slide and trampoline the most. They also have skipping ropes and hula hoops, balls, chalk/chalkboard, scooters. They do like to draw on the concrete with the chalk. My eldest loves to look for and catch lizards. smile
Would you say that a swing set is worth the $200 or more price tag? In terms of cost per use??? Not that we have $$ at the moment but I maybe able to ask each set of grandparents to contribute as a combined xmas present. When are kids too big for those ones you can buy at toys shops?

We had a sandpit before we moved and it was brilliant, we gave it to my nephew. I am not keen to get another one set up. The kids have one at school and preschool to enjoy. Although I may look into getting a big plastic bin and filling it with sand.
My DD is 8 and the twins are 5. We have a swing set and slide. Bikes, scooters, balls, chalk, when the weather is good a jumping castle, in summer a slip and slide, heaps of water play for summer. My kids still all play on the swing and slide it has been worth the money. They have a ball and really enjoy having friends over in summer with the slip and slide and water on the jumping castle.

I have outside kids and they don't really use outdoor play equipment. I refused to get anything other then a trampoline because I wanted playgrounds to be special. They love mud, leaves, dirt, sand, mulch and rocks to either make things with, use their tonka trucks, play with their ponies etc. instead of a nice flat organised sandpit, we put the sand in a pile and they used it that way. they love water all year round. Painting the house or verandah with water with wet paintbrushes, the hose, sprinkler, creek, rain etc. they love bubbles too. They use chalk and bikes. They like to make their own stuff like a tyre swing, they made a seesaw (plank of wood nailed to a round post.) they painted it too and are both so proud of it! They show everybody that visits and it's a year old! They have a cubby, but prefer to make new ones out of branches or sheets. They love taking toys on picnics. They also love "gardening" (I will use that term loosely....lol) watering plants, planting, weeding etc
Sometimes I would put cardboard boxes outside and leave them to it. I guess for me, I wanted our outdoor play to essentially be fashioned by them. I don't want to give them stuff to "do" outside, I want them to create their own fun. I also didn't want to fill the place (inside or out) with things that they get bored of a week later. Hope that makes sense! My kids are 7, 4 and 7 months.
Would love to see a photo of the seesaw OC smile I will do the cardboard box thing, we have heaps around. Winter and water here is not really a good idea, even our water is really really cold. DH washed the car the weekend and he was freezing, lol. But I like your ideas. Do you live more on farm or life style section?

A trampoline might not be safe at our place. We have a lot of concrete. Plus they are really expensive sad

I don't think a swing will be a go, those toy shop ones just don't like they can handle two kids climbing and playing.
We brought one of those plastic swing sets 2nd hand off trademe 4 years ago and it has served us really well and continues to do so. I have a 6 year old who still plays on it, and up til early this year was working as a home educator so it has had many kids playing on it. We have had to replace 1 swing but thats it.

I highly recommend them, my daughter and her friends love it. They dont just swing now, we swapped one of the swings for a trapeze bar which they love, and now they also climb the frame (one at a time) so get a lot more use out of it than purely swinging.

Blessedwithone wrote:
We brought one of those plastic swing sets 2nd hand off trademe 4 years ago and it has served us really well and continues to do so. I have a 6 year old who still plays on it, and up til early this year was working as a home educator so it has had many kids playing on it. We have had to replace 1 swing but thats it.

I highly recommend them, my daughter and her friends love it. They dont just swing now, we swapped one of the swings for a trapeze bar which they love, and now they also climb the frame (one at a time) so get a lot more use out of it than purely swinging.

Do you know the brand?
MamaMum wrote:
Would love to see a photo of the seesaw OC smile I will do the cardboard box thing, we have heaps around. Winter and water here is not really a good idea, even our water is really really cold. DH washed the car the weekend and he was freezing, lol. But I like your ideas. Do you live more on farm or life style section?

A trampoline might not be safe at our place. We have a lot of concrete. Plus they are really expensive sad

I don't think a swing will be a go, those toy shop ones just don't like they can handle two kids climbing and playing.

lol I will see if I can put it on here for you. Its soooooo not a seesaw though. It really is a plank of wood nailed to a post. Great for balancing though!

We live on a little property in the hills. It snows here occasionally and our water is freezing too! Our pipes freeze and our chook water ices over. We have a creek that comes directly from dams so we are pretty lucky. The kids body board in it though and have never really had any sense of temperature. Mind you, I don't really like anything over about mid twenties... My kids are pretty good at deciding when they have had enough and then they come in for a warm bath, hot honey milk and rug up in front of the fire.

If I had a small yard, I would make it full of garden with nooks and crannys for the kids to hide in and explore. I would do the same stuff I mentioned but i would just be bringing it in specifically for them instead of for the garden. if you do a google image search for "kids natural backyards" thats the sort of thing i would be doing. its just a larger version here. you could also get a few bales of hay, do some woodwork, make a watercourse, make fairy gardens/houses, make an obstacle course,

I also have logs that I cut up to balance on as well as fence their cubby house. Also you could plant a non spreading bamboo in big pots and make a private play area that you can move around if you want. food plants also entice my kids outside for lengthy periods.

will yell out if i think of anything else!
this is our local kindys blog which has more ideas. they are a natural kindy and every term they have "outdoor week" where nobody is allowed inside except to go to the toilet. (including teachers, parents, auditors etc!) this is regardless of the weather. worth a squiz!

http://www.lobethalkgn.sa.edu.au/outdoor-kindy-...
OC that is awesome!! DS isn't old enough for Kindy yet, but I would love for him to go to one like this when he is old enough! smile
In the meantime, I need to take the time to play in the mud with him tomorrow grin

OC I just wanted to say I always love hearing about what you and your kids get up to outside etc. you sound like such an awesome mum! Wish I had heaps of space like that. But I'm going to go through your ideas and look at that website when I get chance and see what ideas I can come up with for what we can do at our place with ds!

Wish I was as awesome a mum as you sound babe! smile
Sign in to follow this topic