Relaxing Foot Rubs
Age: baby, parent
Skill for Bub: Muscle builder
This healing technique can calm and comfort baby.
Remember how much you loved foot rubs when you were pregnant? The touches that were soothing then to your sore, tired tootsies are the same ones that your baby will appreciate now.
Reflexology is a treatment in which pressure is applied to specific points on the feet. Many people believe this releases energy and stimulates healing throughout the body. It’s usually geared towards alleviating adult ailments such as back pain or digestive disorders, but it also works wonders for curing colic and soothing fussy infants.
After a feeding or before a nap, move to a quiet, dim room and try this:
- Lay your baby down on his back, with his head away from you.
- Start by gently massaging his feet with a lightly-scented lavender lotion. If your baby is squirming, let him move his legs until he settles down.
- Pressing lightly, rotate your thumbs back and forth on each instep and on the sole of each foot. Continue this massage technique for only five minutes, since a baby’s feet should not be worked on for a long period of time.
- Finish by lightly brushing your finger tips over his feet, then gently covering his feet with your hands and holding them for a few moments.
- Don’t be surprised to find your baby fast asleep!