Beef casserole and dumplings
Keywords: nutrition, parenting, iron, toddler, protein
A fantastic healthy dinner that can be done on the stove or in a slow cooker.
- 800g beef rump or chuck steak, trimmed of fat, cut into 3cm cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 400g reduced salt canned diced tomatoes
- 2 large potatoes, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 30g margarine
- 1 medium zucchini, grated and excess water squeezed out
- 1/3 cup reduced fat milk
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 1hour 40 mins
- Heat large saucepan and add half oil. Add onion and carrot. Cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, heat non-stick frying pan. Toss beef with remaining oil and cook in batches over high heat until browned. As each batch is browned add to saucepan with onion mixture.
- Add flour to saucepan and cook for 1 min while stirring.
- Add tomatoes, ½ cup of water and potatoes. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
- For dumplings: Sift flour into bowl and rub in margarine or butter until mixture crumbly. Stir in the zucchini. Add milk and mix to soft dough. Knead gently. Divide into 12 portions and form into rough balls, Place dumplings on top of casserole for the final 15 minutes of cooking. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until risen and cooked.
Serving suggestion – Steamed green vegetables
To cook in slow cooker
- Brown meat and soften onion and carrot in oil in non-stick frying pan.
- Add to slow cooker along with potatoes, flour, tomatoes and ½ cup water.
- Stir to combine. Cook for 6–7 hours on low or according to slow-cooker instructions.
- Add dumplings for last ½ hour of cooking.
Blend 1/4 cup of casserole with juices and 1/4 dumpling until smooth.
Pulse 1/3 cup casserole with juices and 1/2 a dumpling in blender until partially smooth or mash with a fork for older infants.
When preparing the dumplings make some mini ones using 2 tsp of mixture. Put 1/2 cup of casserole in a small bowl. Surround with cut up steamed green vegetables.
Spoon 3/4 cup of casserole into a small bowl. When preparing dumplings, make some mini ones using 2 tsp of mixture. Encourage your toddler to eat with a fork. Serve with steamed green vegetables.
Some other similar recipes
Loading tip submission...
Loading tips list...