Choc sultana roulade
Keywords: baking with kids, chocolate
This roulade is perfect enjoyed by itself, or served with coffee, custard or ice cream.
- 1 cup sultanas
- 600g flour
- 7g instead dry yeast
- 10g salt
- egg wash
- cinnamon sugar
- crushed/chopped chocolates
- nuts if you desire
- Heat 350ml water to quite hot, tip in sultanas, cover and let the sultanas plump up for at least 10 minutes. Strain and reserve liquid till cool to lukewarm.
- Mix flour with instant dry yeast in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle, pour in the lukewarm sultana water and mix into a rough dough. Cover for one hour.
- Add salt and the plumped sultana to the dough, lightly knead by hand till combined. Cover and leave in warm place till dough doubles in size, approx. 40 minutes.
- Get the dough out and cut into 2 equal portions. Roll one portion into retangular shape about 1cm thick, or as thin as you can get. Brush surface with some egg wash, sprinkle cinnamon sugar, and then a generous amount of crushed/chopped chocolates (and nuts too if using). Then pick up one end of the dough and roll the whole retangle into a log, place on a tray, seam-side down.
- Follow the same steps for the other portion of dough. Cover with a damp tea towel till it doubles in size again, approx. one to one and a half hours.
- Brush top of the log with egg wash and bake in preheated oven (fan forced) of 180C for 25 minutes.
- Remove and place on a wire rack till cool enough to touch, cut the log cross section and serve!
Some other similar recipes
Loading tip submission...
Loading tips list...