Earthy beef noodles
This is a family favourite winter recipe. The kids will enjoy slurping their noodles. The earthy flavour not only fills in your nostrils but reaches your soul as well. It’s also good to freeze and easy to heat up to warm a cold winter night.
- 500g Beef Brisket
- 1 pc Star Anise
- 1/2 cup Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 Stalk Spring Onions Chopped
- 1 Brown Onion chopped
- 1 small (1 inch) ginger
- 1 garlic, minced
- 1 Packet of Egg Noodles
- Boiled Eggs (optional)
- Beef Stock
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- Pinch of Pepper or Pepper Corns
- Spinach (Cabbage, Bok Choy or Broccoli)
- Boil Beef brisket until tender in water and beef stock together with half of the chopped onions. Put aside. To make it “healthier”, skim the fat out when it cools down.
Top tip: Using a pressure cooker for this first step not only saves time but power as well. Conventional boiling takes up to an hour or so, depending on the type of beef you use while pressure cooking only takes up to 15-20 minutes.
- Boil the noodles per packet instructions.
- In a sauce pan or saute pan, saute the ginger, garlic and the remaining brown onions. Add the beef, saute for a minute then pour in the rest of the soup. Boil then simmer.
- While the soup simmers, put in the shiitake mushrooms and star anise. This is what will give the soup the “earthy flavour.”
- Season with pepper, dark soy sauce and sugar. I used pepper corns so that my daughter can easily pick them out.
- Put in your greens. If you want an even sweeter flavour, use cabbage. Otherwise, just use spinach or bokchoy. You can also add broccoli or string beans.
- Your soup is now ready to be mixed with the noodles. I prefer to mix them only just before serving — put the noodles in a bowl then pour the soup over it. This will make sure that your noodles are not soggy.
- Top with green onions and an egg to make it even more special.
- Serve hot and enjoy the slurping!
Some other similar recipes
Loading tip submission...
Loading tips list...