Keywords: parenting, baking with kids
Florentines are easy to whip up. They can be made several days before an occasion and stored in an airtight container. It’s a great festive treat and this recipe combines the delicate and varied flavours of glace cherries and slivered almonds to wonderful effect.
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped glace cherries
- 2 tablespoons mixed peel
75g unsalted butter
1/3 cup soft brown sugar
180 g dark chocolate (chopped up)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Line tray with baking paper
- Sift flour into a bowl. Add walnuts, almonds, cherries and mixed peel.
- Place butter and brown sugar in saucepan and stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves and butter melts. Remove from heat.
- Add the melted butter and sugar to the dry ingredients.
- Stir gently and avoid overmixing.
- Place teaspoons of the mix on the baking tray making sure to space them at least 6cm apart. Press them down gently using the side of a knife.
- Bake for 5 to 7 minutes
- Remove from oven and using the knife press the biscuits gently into rounds.
- Leave to cool on the tray for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack until completely cooled.
- Place the chocolate pieces into a heatproof bowl.
- Fill half a saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Remove from heat.
- Place bowl containing chocolate over it and stir until chocolate has melted. Alternatively you can melt the chocolate in the microwave, checking on it every 30 seconds or so.
- Using a flat bladed knife swirl the chocolate on the underside of the Florentines.
Some other similar recipes
Loading tip submission...
Loading tips list...