Lamb Shank, Vegetable & Chickpea Soup
Keywords: nutrition, soup, comfort food, warming, winter food
Delicious and nutritious, this hearty soup is full of traditional goodness that sings of grandma’s old recipe she’s passed on down the generations. Try it yourself and then make sure your kiddies learn how to cook it too.
- 1 ½ cups dried chickpeas
- 1 table spoon olive oil
- 1 ½ kg lamb shanks
- 1 medium brown onion (finely diced)
- 2 medium carrots (finely diced)
- 2 medium potatoes (peeled & diced)
- 2 stalks celery (trimmed & finely sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 litre water
- 8 large stalks silverbeet (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Place chickpeas in a medium bowl, cover with water and leave to soak overnight. Rinse under cold water & drain.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan, and cook lamb in batches until browned. Remove from pan to cool.
- Cook onion, carrots, potatoes, celery, garlic and cumin in same pan. Keep stirring for about 5 minutes, until onion softens.
- Return lamb to the pan with the stock and the water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 2 hours.
- Remove soup mixture from the heat, and when the lamb is cool enough to handle, remove the meat and chop roughly.
- Refrigerate cooled soup mixture, and lamb meat, covered separately, overnight.
- Discard fat from surface of soup mixture.
- Place soup mixture, meat and chickpeas in a large saucepan, bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Add silverbeet and lemon juice, and simmer, uncovered, until silverbeet wilts.
Serve with crusty bread.
Some other similar recipes
Loading tip submission...
Loading tips list...