Keywords: baking with kids, dessert, sweet treats
Treat the family to a delicious slice of good old fashioned apple pie. Special thanks to Huggies mum Rose for this recipe.
- 6 large green apples, peeled, cored and cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp caster sugar (superfine)
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- pinch of ground cloves
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 310g plain (all purpose) flour
- 40g self raising flour
- 185g butter, chilled, cubed
- 2 1/2 tbsp caster sugar
- 120-140ml iced water
- Put apples in large heavy saucepan with sugar, lemon zest, cloves, and 2 tbsp water. Cover and simmer for 8 mins or until just tender, shaking pan occasionally. Drain and cool.
- To make the pastry, sift flours in bowl. Rub butter into flours with your fingertips till mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add sugar, mix well and make a well in the centre. Add most of the water and mix with a flat bladed knife, using a cutting action, until mixture just comes together in beads, adding water if needed. Gather the pastry in floured surface. Divide in two, making one half a little bigger. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 20 mins.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Roll out the larger pastry between two sheets of baking paper and line a 23cm pie plate, trimming away the excess pastry. Brush the jam over the base and spoon in the apple filling. Roll out the remaining pastry between two sheets of baking paper until large enough to cover the pie. Brush a little water around the rim to secure the top. Trim off the excess pastry, pinch the edges together and cut steam holes in the top.
- Roll out the trimmings to decorate the pie. Brush top lightly with egg and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 20 mins, then reduce oven temp to 180C and bake for 30-35 mins or until golden brown.
Some other similar recipes
Loading tip submission...
Loading tips list...