Homemade pumpkin gnocchi with tomato, sausage and spinach sauce
Keywords: family, healthy eating, protein, winter
This is a delicious hearty winter warmer for those chilly nights. Special thanks to Huggies mum Claire for this fantastic gnocchi recipe.
- 1 butternut pumpkin, skin removed and diced
- 800g (approx) flour
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pinch of dry chilli flakes
- 3 long or 6 small sausages, cooked and sliced (they can be beef, turkey, chicken, or lamb)
- 4 fresh tomatoes, diced or 1 can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 small lemon, zest and juice
- 1 pinch of salt
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- handful of baby spinach
For the gnocchi
- Heat water in a large pasta pot or saucepan. Bring to boil.
- Add diced pumpkin. Cook until soft.
- Remove pumpkin and set aside to cool while keeping water in pot.
- Once cool, blend pumpkin into a smooth puree or pass pumpkin through a metal sieve into a smooth puree.
- Add half the flour and fold to combine. Once incorporated add more flour bit by bit until it all comes together into a dough (you may need the whole 800g or you might need less – it will depend on how much moisture is in your pumpkin).
- Sprinkle flour on the bench and lightly knead dough. Be careful not to over knead as this can make your gnocchi heavy and tough instead of light.
- Roll into long sausage like lengths and then cut with a sharp knife into pieces. You can cut your gnocchi as small or large as you like.
- Once cut, return to your boiling water and cook until the gnocchi starts to float to the surface.
- Set some aside (about 2 cups) in the fridge for dinner or lunch and cook the rest in batches and this can be frozen for use at a later date.
For the sauce
- Heat oil in pan. Add garlic and chilli flakes.
- Add refrigerated gnocchi and cooked and sliced sausage. Cook for 1 min.
- Add tomatoes and water and stir gently to combine. Simmer for 5 mins.
- Add spring onions, pinch of salt and zest and juice of 1/2 lemon. Cook for further 2 mins.
- Remove from heat and stir through baby spinach.
- Serve and enjoy.
You may like to add some fresh feta or parmesan to serve.
Some other similar recipes
Loading tip submission...
Loading tips list...