Colic Routine: Water Wheel, Froggy Pose, Touch Relaxation & Hands of Clock Massage
Colic in healthy babies is a bit of a mystery: it’s usually thought to be caused by wind or gas in the bowel, but there is no proof of this. Whatever the cause, baby’s inconsolable crying, screaming, tummy clenching and hand-sucking can make even the most confident mother burst into tears and doubt her abilities.
This simple massage sequence has helped thousands of colicky babies and is easy to do. Do the routine three times, twice daily for two weeks, and by day 3, your baby’s colic should show signs of improvement.
Bookmark this page in Huggies baby massage and yoga so you can get to it quickly.
Even if your baby doesn’t get colic these yoga poses and exercises will help your baby’s digestion, especially when they start solids or become constipated.
Colic massage routineView all videos
Any baby whose behaviour changes (e.g. if he or she suddenly starts crying more than usual, or they seem unwell) should be checked by your doctor in case there’s a more serious health problem.
Colic massage routine step by step
This time don’t ask baby for permission to do a massage but simply tell baby what you’re doing.
- Sit cross-legged on your mat or rug with baby lying on a rug or layers of towels in front of you
- Make scooping strokes from below baby’s ribcage to the top of the nappy. One hand moves after the other like a water wheel turning
- Do this 6 times
- Gently guide your baby’s knees towards their abdomen and hold for 6 seconds, ensuring baby’s tailbone remains on the floor
- To come out, gently vibrate the legs back to the ground
- Give baby’s legs an easy stretch
- Place your hands over your baby’s abdomen, gently encouraging your baby to relax and let go
- Imagine there is a clock face on your baby’s tummy
- With your right hand, make clockwise circles around the stomach with your left hand, bring in a crescent from 10 o’clock to 5 o’clock
- Keep both hands moving to make continuous clockwise circles
- Repeat 6 times
- Repeat froggy pose and touch relaxation
- To finish the sequence, place your hands over your baby’s abdomen and telling him or her to relax and release
- Do this sequence three times, twice daily for two weeks
By day 3, your baby’s colic should show signs of improvement
Next try scissors pose
Return to full list of baby massage & yoga videos