Back and Forth & Sweeping the Back Massage
Everyone loves a back rub and babies are no exception. As well as being a lovely treat, massaging your baby’s back is soothing and comforting and is great for building the connection between the two of you.
This is one of two baby back massage routines in Huggies baby massage and yoga program. The other is raining rainbows.
Back and forth & sweeping the back massageView all videos
Back and forth & sweeping the back massage step by step
There are several different positions you can use for baby back massages. Try them out first to see which of these best suits you and your baby.
- Place baby across your lap. This will also give your little one some valuable tummy time which promotes neck strength and head control
- Hold baby close to you with their head on your shoulder. Cradle their legs and bottom with one hand while you massage their back with the other. In this position you can give baby a mini massage when you’re out and about
- Lie baby on the floor on their tummy, side-on to you
Before you start the massage:
- Ask baby’s permission and chant 3 Oms. As your baby gets used to this routine you may find they start chanting with you. Have the video camera ready!
- Drop some massage oil into your palms and rub them together
- Using both hands, move in opposite directions across your baby’s back, sliding from the top of the spine to the tailbone while you whisper soft words of love and encouragement
- Place one hand on your baby’s buttocks
- Use your other hand to sweep down baby’s back from head to bottom
- Extend the stroke by holding baby’s feet with one hand and sweeping slowly to the ankles. Name and explain body parts as you stroke baby from top to toe
- To finish, pick up your baby for a cuddle and a kiss
Next try raining rainbows
Return to full list of baby massage & yoga videos