Raining and Rainbows, the Sun & Rays of Sunshine Massage
This routine continues the back massage started in back and forth in Huggies baby massage and yoga program.
There is no limit on how long or how often you should do these back massages. So if you’re both enjoying it, keep going. Both you and your baby will benefit from the release of feel-good endorphins and oxytocin, promoting health and wellbeing. You can give your baby a back massage practically anywhere, and you can adapt the strokes to suit you both.
Raining and rainbows, the sun & rays of sunshine massage step by step
- With the pads of your fingers, move up and down baby’s back with a gentle tapping motion like big droplets of rain
- Tell baby it’s stopped raining and use the pads of your fingers to draw rainbows across baby’s back. Draw from one shoulder blade and move to the other, then across the middle of the back and then from one hip to the other
- Now the sun has come out, so use a circular motion with the pads of your fingers to draw little suns along either side of your baby’s spine and across their bottom
Rays of sunshine
- Spread your hand wide and with the pads of your fingers vibrate or comb your hand down your baby’s back from neck to buttocks. Tell your baby that these are the rays of light from the sun
- Decrease the pressure of your hand with each stroke
- Finish by thanking your baby, picking him or her up and having a cuddle
Next move on to baby massage for the lower body, starting with water wheel
Return to full list of baby massage & yoga videos