Tweddle is an early parenting service based in Footscray Victoria but offering in home support across metropolitan Melbourne. The Residential and Day Stay programs support vulnerable parents with children aged from birth to school age with a focus on practical skill development and supporting parents in building confidence within their parenting roles.
Tweddle staff are trained professionals and provide a multi disciplinary approach. They include Maternal and Child Health Nurses, Early Childhood Professionals, Social Workers and Psychologists. Our highest priority is to provide assistance to families that are facing multiple challenges and in urgent need of therapeutic support and intervention.
Services Provided by Tweddle:
- Day Stay Programs are available at four different locations around the state:
- Terang supports families with children to the age of one year.
- Maribyrnong is open three days per week and alternate Sundays. It offers support for families with children aged up to four years.
- Bacchus Marsh is open two days per week and provides support for babies up to twelve months.
- Geelong is open one day per week and caters for children to twelve months.
- The Residential Program is designed to offer more intensive support on a live-in basis for two to four days. The centre is located in Footscray. There is no cost for this service for parents who have a Medicare card. Parents are asked to pay a small fee each day towards the cost of a nappy disposal service if they are using disposables. A referral from a GP, Maternal and Child Health Nurse or other health professional is required prior to booking an intake assessment.
- The Prison Program delivers services to Dame Phyllis Frost Centre for Women, Melbourne Assessment Prison for Men, Port Phillip Correctional Centre and an education service designed for parents in custody. This is a free service.
- The Tweddle Infant and Perinatal Psychologist Service is located in Footscray and is conducted as an outpatient service. Tweddle can support families, couples and individuals with or without their children.
- Tweddle’s In Home Service is a fee based home visiting service. Qualified staff come to the family home and support families with feeding, sleep, behaviour and parenting education.
Tweddle does not provide a telephone advisory service. They suggest parents ring their local Maternal and Child Health Nurse, or community nurse for advice. Alternatively The Maternal and Child Health Advisory Line is available 24 hrs/day 7 days/week on 13 22 29 or The Parent Advisory Line on 13 22 89 which is open 8am-12 pm on weekdays and 10am-10pm on weekends.
Contact Details for Tweddle Services:
Tweddle Child + Family Health Service
Telephone: (03) 9689 1577
Keep in touch with Tweddle on Facebook and Twitter
Tweddle Bacchus Marsh
Telephone: (03) 9747 7609
Telephone: (03) 5221 7333
Telephone: (03) 5592 0284 or (03) 5592 0222
Settling Techniques Suggested by Tweddle:
There is no one consistent set of settling techniques suggested by Tweddle. Each family is supported to develop their own goals for settling their individual baby. Settling strategies are designed to suit the child’s age in response to the child’s cues.
Check www.tweddle.org.au for more information about this service.
For more information see Baby settling or Baby Care