Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

**October 2009 Babies** Lock Rss

I haven't bought Sarah anything for Xmas, she has no idea whats going on! Next year will be different though, plus I know the family will be buying her things anyway.
I've had a couple of really good days with all 3 on my own, and a couple of bad days, but am keeping my cool really well even if the older 2 are running amok!

OK, help time please. My supply seems really low and has for at least a week, I have been offering extra feeds and she goes on for a few sucks then comes off and is unsettled like maybe she wants more but shes not getting anything, the extra feeds do not seem to be boosting my supply either. Every night I worry and think maybe I should offer her some formula but I haven't yet and she has been sleeping well overnight, the last 2 nights only 1 night feed so she's going 5 hours in between feeds overnight.
I'm probably worrying about nothing but am still worrying because that is what I do!
She seems to feed every 1-2 hours in the early evening, right when I'm trying to get my older 2 sorted with dinner, bath etc...
Anyone else finding their supply seems low these days? I'm used to the breasts feeling full of milk and sometimes expressing after a feed because she is content and does not want anymore but she hasn't drained the breast. I also am not getting as much out when I express....help??

Posted by: Cassie71
OK, help time please. My supply seems really low and has for at least a week, I have been offering extra feeds and she goes on for a few sucks then comes off and is unsettled like maybe she wants more but shes not getting anything, the extra feeds do not seem to be boosting my supply either. Every night I worry and think maybe I should offer her some formula but I haven't yet and she has been sleeping well overnight, the last 2 nights only 1 night feed so she's going 5 hours in between feeds overnight.
I'm probably worrying about nothing but am still worrying because that is what I do!
She seems to feed every 1-2 hours in the early evening, right when I'm trying to get my older 2 sorted with dinner, bath etc...
Anyone else finding their supply seems low these days? I'm used to the breasts feeling full of milk and sometimes expressing after a feed because she is content and does not want anymore but she hasn't drained the breast. I also am not getting as much out when I express....help??

Cass, do you feel full when you wake up in the morning? I only feel full in the mornings, TJ usually cluster feeds in the early evening too, that's normal for their age, but can get hard trying to do dinner, bath and bed for the older two...especially as DH is usually at work, but you just do what you gotta do.

If Sarah is gaining weight, is usually content and sleeping well, I'd say she's getting enough. TJ comes off every couple of minutes and I have to keep putting him back on, but that's just how he feeds, I also sometimes have to feed him in a quiet, dark room as he's already starting to get nosy and pulls off really quickly (ouch!) to see what's going on around him.

Could she be going through a growth spurt? It can be tough, especially as unlike formula feeders, you have no idea how many ml's they get each feed, I've been through hell with both DS1 and DS2, and have been really, really lucky with TJ.

Let me know how you get on. xx

Elllie

Hi Cassie, totally understand where you are coming from, being my 3rd bub I thought everything was easier but I'm still stressing over everything. I think alot is I'm not confident breastfeeding. Anyway I had to start offering Emmy formula after a BF as she had a low weight gain than next weigh had started to lose weight. I cried for a whole day as I didn't want to give her any formula but ABA & LC advised me to give her formula. LC watched me feed her and wasn't happy with how she was feeding, like she wasn't sucking hard enough to get to milk. I'm still offering a BF first and I find some days she might only take 40-60ml of formula and other days she has more. Saw the dr and got script to increase my supply but I don't feel that it has done much. Am trying to rest, eat and drink correctly but with 3 young kids I really don't have time which hasn't helped. Emma still won't take a dummy and I think uses me alot for comfort sucking which I sure isn't helping my supply. I am just so unsure what to do with the feeding everyone keep telling me to use formula but I'm having a hard time stopping feeding her.

As Ellie was saying if Sarah is gaining weight etc then maybe she is just having a couple of unsettled days? Just wanted you to know I can understand what you are going thru and I hope you are having a better day today.

I was thinking about it and she was definitely unsettled due to the fact that she was due for a poo, hadn't done one in a few days, also she seemed really windy.
She has been putting on about 120gms a week, I missed weighing her last week but she goes to the CHN for her 8 week check up tomorrow so I'll see what she is then, judging by how her nappies are fitting I'm positive she has put on weight and she is very talkative and loves smiling and making eye contact and trying to reach for things.
Overnight the breasts felt full again for the 1st time in 1-2 weeks and she had 2 fantastic feeds, this evening they feel low again but as long as she gets good feeds overnight and 1st thing in the morning I'll be happy.
Thanks everyone, I'm just a worrier!
I really hope she has made some good weight gains when I go to the CHN tomorrow! x

Sarah has only put on 180gms in 2 weeks, the CHN thinks she should be putting on twice that much and wants me to take fenugreek and offer more feeds which I'm already doing.
Anyone else taking fenugreek and how much/what dose?

Hey karen...
Yeah she is 10x better on formula shes now slowly getting into sleeping thru the night. shes slept 830 till 557 the 1st night and 9 till 615 the 2nd night i was so happy lol..
I just brought krista some new clothes lol she doesnt really know wots going on so didnt need to go all out.

Aw cass, maybe it might be time to put her on formula full time?? or go to the doctor and see if they can give you anything to boost your supplie thats what i did
good luck.

merry christmas to you all
xx

Hey mammas,

im worried, when is your period supposed to come back after bub? its been 10 weeks now, and still no sign.... am i worried for no reason ? sorry about exposing to much info, im just a little concerned. I really cant remember how long ittook for things to get back to normal when i had my 1st baby???? i suppose it was 4 years ago..

mamma2

I have always had problems with supply, this time I'm offering feeds but she keeps getting a sore tummy and rejecting feeds, she rejected 2 yesterday then did 2 big nasty nappies overnight and had a good feed this morning and is asleep, but her not feeding is messing with my supply, telling my body it doesn't need to make as much, so I'm taking don peridone and expressing if she does not feed from both sides. Last night she only woke up for 1 feed which doesn't help either.
She's on the 50% so I will only put her on formula if she get alot lower, I'd rather not do that at all if I can avoid it

mumshell, how long did you bleed for after birth? I bled for about 5 weeks then had nothing for 2 weeks then spotting which I don't include now nothing...I wouldn't worry unless you have nothing after about 3 months after you stopped bleeding from birth....our bodies often take some time to get back into a routine after birth smile

ah thanks , i am breast feeding but the same as cassie, prob only 50% of haydens food is breast milk, the other 50% is formula. (supp feeding)i bled for 2 weeks following the birth, then a week of nothing than spotting which was wierd. so its been 6 weeks from that spotting time... thats why im panicking cause i thought that spotting must of been a period.. But 6 months break that ruby and mickayla's mum had re assures me. ill worry when i start feeling nauseaus. I mean we are planning on one more baby, but not this soon!! haha.

i hope everyone is enjoying their little bubbas, amazing just how quick they grow.. so sad sad....

mamma2

hi ladies

How is everyone? We have a facebook page so drop in and have a look and we can all add each other.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=205731546695
mum shell that will be why for sure, I'm not sure what to expect either. Some people get af back, others don't get it at all until they stop BF.
I'm actually fully breastfeeding, I meant that Sarah is sitting on the 50% on the weight scale. Maybe that is where she is supposed to be but she was born on the 75% so it does concern me. I'll give it a bit longer and see if her weight gains improve at all.
She had good feeds last night, hopefully this is a good sign!
I am loving watching Sarah change a bit more each day, getting stronger and loads of smiles, but also miss the real newborn phase, it goes so quick!
I have sent DH to the doctor to discuss getting the snip so I don't try for 1 more bub, he does not want anymore and I don't trust myself to accidently fall! He'd kill me smile x

thanks for the help smile feel a bit better now. Sorry cassie didnt read your post properly. Well done completely breast feeding.. im sooo envious sad. Hayden had probs stacking on the weight thats why 50% of his feeds are formula.. I was really dissapointed in myself as i REALLY wanted to just breastfeed completely, but the little chubba was just NEVER completely satisfied and was always hungry, i felt so sorry for him and the evidence was there with it taking 5 weeks for him to get back to his birth weight. Im on "motilium" now so i hope to increase my supply a bit more.. fingers crossed anyway..

Is little sarah your 3rd bub cassie ? Hayden is my 2nd and we have decided to have 1 more bub. We now have 2 gorgeous boys!!!!, if we have a third boy i think that's gods way of telling us we were only meant to raise boys :)so hubby will also get the "snip" after no 3 !!!. How do you find life with 3 babies. Im just worried about the middle child thing. But as long as they have loads of love thats all that matters.

well better get cracking on dinner...

Shell xo

mamma2

Sign in to follow this topic