Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Babies swimming lessons Lock Rss

HI all,

My little princess is 6 months old soon, and i will be starting her at swimming lessons soon after.

Just wondering what other peoples experiences have been introducing baby to the pool?

Also i cant help but be scared she will drink the water or hurt her eyes or something, how have other babies coped?

Leanne, Eliza Jade 17/1/05

hi most babies seem to love it well my dd did. i have twins 6 months old which i will be starting shortly as well

Sydney,twin boys 22/10/04+girl 26/03/02

Hello,
I am actually a swimming teacher. I put my first in the water at 5 months and my second was in at around 6 1/2 months.
Both of them love it.
When I take them, I become the mother not the teacher and let the teachers do it, mind you I do go where I work so I know the teachers and I know the way the kids get taught.
It does not matter if your child drinks the water. They may cough a bit or even seem like they will spew (and sometimes they do if they have just been fed) but don't worry too much about it. Most children do it occasionally.
The water shouldn't affect your childs eyes as they won't be under water much and usually keep their eyes shut until around 1 year old or older.
Some kids scream for a while or even a term but they soon get over it. (They don't like the noise or even more people in the water or strangers). If they do scream and it does get you a bit upset, try not to give up, take them aside with toy maybe and do what the rest of the class is but by yourself to get them calmed down.
Remember, this is meant to be fun and games. It's not actual swimming.

Hope this helps.
Have fun with your little girl.
If you want to know more, just ask.

Tania,Vic,2 girls 4 1/2 yrs & 22 month old

Hello there,

I started Jade at 5 months and have been blessed that she just loves the water. A bit of advice I was given was to start to pour a cup of water over her face at bath time to prepare her for the water and I think it was a big help.
Jade is now 8 months and still gets a bit of a shock if she swallows a bit of water but she gets over it quickly and kicks her little legs to make big splashes. The swimming teachers are so good with the kids and I look so forward to Jade's lesson every week.

Let us know how you go.

Danielle
Sign in to follow this topic