Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Teething
  5. "Baby Love" says Teething doesn't hurt them!!!???!!!

"Baby Love" says Teething doesn't hurt them!!!???!!! Lock Rss

I read in it a few days ago that teething ins't supposed to hurt!! I also called the Early Childhood Centre and they told me the same thing .... I seriously don't believe this ... my daughter is miserable at night with her teething ... she sounds like she is in pain and they say ignore teething!!!!

My mum (mother of 5) and my Grandma (mother of 7) were both SHOCKED to hear this ... they both said teething was a big upset to all of us as bubs ..

was anyone else suprised by the comment on teething in Baby Love??? I love that book so I am so dissapointed!
Yes I was also quite shocked to read this. Baby Love has been like my bible for my baby.

Makaylas mum

Me too Kaz ... it is TOTALLY my bible ... so I was dissapointed to read her comments on teething!
Yeah I've also been told teething doesn't give them a blocked nose but both of mine of had this.
My youngest can't sleep more from not being able to breath alot of the time.
as for no pain, what a load! Pamol makes it better every time smile]

Re the comment in Baby Love, its if a baby is teething they will generally only wake in the first 3hrs because of any pain. Unless I go back and read the book re teething I'm pretty sure it says that yes 'teething doesn't cause any real pain' but also that there are no pin-point reactions which are recognised as pain due to the different reactions babies can have.

The reasoning behind this is the fact that when a baby/child/adult is asleep their blood pressure lowers and any pain they were in before they went to sleep reduces, even more so if pain relief medication is taken.

I used to get migraines and I would take pain killers and go to sleep and wake the next day fine. I know this doesn't work with everybody but it is actually true. I have spoken to quite a few different medical people (doctors, osteo, chiro, acupunturist) about it and even they said its right.

But on saying that some bubs still may be unsettled at night. I'm one of the lucky ones my DS is feral during the day when he has a tooth worrying him but once he's asleep I might hear him have a little grizzle/cry an hour or so later but that's all.

Frozen teething rings are great for bubs to chew on, I use Hylands Teething Tablets and find them so much better than gels and if you really think bub needs it Panadol/Nurofen before bed.
[Edited on 08/09/2008]
I think you'll find it does, certainly bothers my DD!
anyone who says teething doesn't hurt obviously never got their wisdom teeth - that bloody hurts!!! i can only imagine how babies must feel going through it again and again and i know how good it feels to chew on something hard when there is a tooth coming through your gum, so teething rings do a lot of good!!!

Avabelle,

This was my second last paragraph...

'But on saying that some bubs still may be unsettled at night. I'm one of the lucky ones my DS is feral during the day when he has a tooth worrying him but once he's asleep I might hear him have a little grizzle/cry an hour or so later but that's all'

As I said I'm one of the lucky ones but so are most of my gf's they don't seem to have much problem with their bubs and teething at night either and they don't have Baby Love.

But babies aren't textbook are they, they are all different with different sleeping/teething/feeding habits.
I've read this in many books as well and my personal opinion is that it's a load of crap.

If you've had wisdom teeth come through - how did that feel for you? For me - I had constant pain and that was only 4 teeth. They have to deal with a whole mouth full at varying stages. Furthermore, they're too young to understand what is happening.

DS has just had his 5th tooth come thru and didn't really have any issues with that. The first 4 however, gave him alot of pain. We used panadol but used it sparingly.

Ness

i agree with you all....who ever says it doesnt hurt babies is so wrong...my 7 month old has 2 teeth and with the first one, he screamed all night and got an ear infection and the 2nd tooth, he screamed all night and was unsettled for an entire week. His teeth havent "fully grown" but i can see that it hurts him! How else would you explain them being unsettled when their teeth are poping up???
Sign in to follow this topic