Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Teething
  5. Did your bub drink less while teething

Did your bub drink less while teething Lock Rss

Bub is drinking less formula and less often at the moment. I'm hoping its just cause she is teething. She is underweight and is or was finally making some progress with her weight gain but now instead of having 4-5 180ml bottles during the day aprox every 2-3hrs she will have 2-3 150ml and 2 30-50ml bottles. She gets whingy after 2-3 hrs but only drinks 30-50ml if I can hold her out another hr or 2 than she will drink 180ml. but i think she is so use to drinking regularly she wants a bottle but then only has a little bit a decideds she doesn't want it.
Giving her water instead really upsets her and then only way to calm her back down is to give her some formula. She is not on solids.

Bub is drinking less formula and less often at the moment. I'm hoping its just cause she is teething. She is underweight and is or was finally making some progress with her weight gain but now instead of having 4-5 180ml bottles during the day aprox every 2-3hrs she will have 2-3 150ml and 2 30-50ml bottles. She gets whingy after 2-3 hrs but only drinks 30-50ml if I can hold her out another hr or 2 than she will drink 180ml. but i think she is so use to drinking regularly she wants a bottle but then only has a little bit a decideds she doesn't want it.
Giving her water instead really upsets her and then only way to calm her back down is to give her some formula. She is not on solids.

How old is bub? Are you giving it a good go at burping during and after the bottle? How much solids is bub having? Has bub just had a growth spurt? These are all things that can effect the milk intake.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Hi there,

I find my girl drinks little and often when she has a tooth coming through. She's breastfed, so I can't tell you amounts, but she'll be on and off very quickly when teething, and her nappies seem a bit lighter for a day or two. Then she seems to make up for it in the following days/nights. I think it's so hard for them when their little mouths are sore.

If your bub is having weight issues, I personally wouldn't be giving her water, as it will take up valuable milk room smile My girl is 8.5 months and I rarely offer her water, maybe a little with food if needed. I prefer her drinks to be BM. This may be different for formula fed bubs, so please excuse my ignorance smile

If she wants to feed little and often,maybe just go with it, and offer her more formula, more often. You may find the amounts add up in the end. Other than that, keep an eye on her nappies, her wee should be very pale and not smelly, and she should still be having plenty of wet nappies. If you're at all concerned, take her to the Dr's.

It's so hard, isn't it? Just when you figure them out, they change again! smile Good luck.
Might try burping her more. She usually burps herself as I pick her up to put her against my shoulder never really had to do much to get it up although sometimes I never get anything but I dont worry about it caus she doesn't seem troubled and passes wind a lot. So maybe I'll try harder to get something up.
she 7 months but not on solids due to constipation/health issues and are waiting to see someone about it app is not till end of Nov. And I've been told try try and give her water between feeds to help her bowels.

Mish how long did you find your bub was drinking less but more often? was it only as the tooth broke through? Bubs first 2 teeth broke through over a week ago now.
Do you think they still have troubles after they break through caus they are still growing?
Bub has a normal dr app late next week for a weight checkup so thought I'd just see how she goes.
Maybe she wants the food .Can she have farax? that shouldn't interfer with the bowls too much .But DS did drink less when teething didn't like the taste in his mouth .So i gave him more solids .especially cold soft fruits ,like watermelon
My DD definately went off her milk altogether leading up to a tooth coming through. Even when the tooth came through she was always a bit 'scared' of the teat going in her mouth, as if she thought it was going to hurt.
My son went off his feeds a bit during teething times too.. If your really concerned maybe just check with your doctor/health nurse smile

Might try burping her more. She usually burps herself as I pick her up to put her against my shoulder never really had to do much to get it up although sometimes I never get anything but I dont worry about it caus she doesn't seem troubled and passes wind a lot. So maybe I'll try harder to get something up.
she 7 months but not on solids due to constipation/health issues and are waiting to see someone about it app is not till end of Nov. And I've been told try try and give her water between feeds to help her bowels.

Mish how long did you find your bub was drinking less but more often? was it only as the tooth broke through? Bubs first 2 teeth broke through over a week ago now.
Do you think they still have troubles after they break through caus they are still growing?
Bub has a normal dr app late next week for a weight checkup so thought I'd just see how she goes.

Hi,
Sorry, just saw your reply. She was probably still a bit funny for a week or so after they came through, I think because they annoy her while they're coming up- she plays with them with her tongue a lot. Your check-up is probably coming at a good time.

Sorry, I didn't realise you had constipation issues, ignore what I said about water smile She probably should be fine with wind by now, too.

You're definitely doing the right thing by waiting on solids, she'll get far more nutrition from her milk, anyway, and baby cereals are notorious for constipation as they're iron fortified and rice- both good for binding you up! If you were to try solids, something like pear would be the way to go smile

I hope things have improved for you smile
Hi.I had the same problem.. my boy is five and a half months old and since he started teething he went off his milk. I changed his formula over and got faster flowing teets so he doesnt have to work as hard with his sore mouth. This has helped alot.
i have 2 early teethers, with dd 1 her first tooth was thru by 3.5 months, with dd 2 she is just about 3 months and has hers cutting atm. both went off there milk majorly but once tooth was cut they made up for that by drinking alot. (dd1 was breast fed dd2 bottle fed)
Hi how are you going? How is bubs teething and weight going? Just thought il ad my 2 cents worth aswell. Yes my bub is going through it now. I am using teething rusks which are wonderful and also using the mesh teethers which you put in soft fruit such as banannas, strawberries, melon etc, for bub to suck on is working well. They get something in their tummies as well as it being healthy. Goodluck
They can also go off milk whe. They r ready for solids. Mi.e did this. try some mashed boiled pears or pumpkin. Formula can sometimes cause constipation. Pears is really good for this. Talking from experience with my dd.
Sign in to follow this topic