From around 3 months onwards, babies start to produce a lot more saliva and start sticking their fingers in their mouths. This is a reaction to the first 'milk' teeth coming through. However it can be a long process until you actually see those first teeth appearing. Teething can be painful for your little one, so we've put together some answers to your most common questions:

1. How do I know if my baby is cranky from teething or something else?

If your baby is grizzly and crying a lot first check if it's the usual suspects (wet nappy, hungry, tired). If it's none of those take their temperature. Teething will cause a slight raise in temperature, but if it's high above the normal range, it may be an infection. If in doubt take your baby to see your GP.

2. Is teething worse at night?

Teething seems worse at night because your child is tired, and during the day they are awake and playing and have things to distract them from the pain.

3. How can I prevent Dribble Rash?

While your baby is teething he will produce more saliva. The constant contact with saliva can cause the skin around the chin and mouth to become irritated. Apply some Vaseline or Paw Paw Ointment to reduce the contact of the saliva with the tender skin. Also, do not rub the saliva off the chin - just pat-dry gently to avoid a friction-induced, worsening rash.

4. What natural pain relievers can I use to help with teething pain?

Unfortunately, there have been very few studies on what remedies - natural or otherwise -- are truly effective for the pain associated with teething. However chewing on cool washcloths, frozen teething rings, and other such items is usually enough to ease the pain.

Is your little one teething at the moment? How do you help ease the pain?