Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

WASHING CLOTH NAPPIES!!! Lock Rss

Hi Im new to the cloth nappy thing and this morning received my order of peapods, thing is I know the inserts need to be washed about 5-6 times or something like that prior to using, but do i have to dry them in between washes or can i just put them back on a quick wash once machine has stopped, also do i need to use laundry detergent each time? because from what I've been looking up the inserts can take up to a day to dry, so that means about 5-6 days before i can start using them!!

jade82

I was told to soak them in the bath for a few hours, saves power with the washing machine. Then change them more often when you first ues them, but after a few times they will be fine. You don't need to use washing powder on the first wash/sock and only about half a scoop after that.

yep u can just wash them one after the other and i would only use a small amount of detergent for the first wash and none for the other washes after that once you've done the 5 or 6 washes dry them and then u can use them straight away. they will get more absorbent for the next few washes after these as well. if u really want to start using them straight away u can just do 2 washes and start usin them but u might need to change them a little more often until the 6ish was mark cause they aren't as absorbent. i have a friend that only washes once the first time and hasn't had them leaked so depends how heavy a wetter ur bubs is

Hi thanx for replying, just done the first wash so put all on line for now, will get them in later and do the other washes, so can start using tomorrow, cant wait!!!

jade82

smile Hi,
I recently invested several hundred's of dollars in these nappies, not peapods but a bamboo/cotton, hemp/cotton nappies and they had two pages of instructions but not how to wash them, i.e gentle cycle and my nappies fell apart after three months. Thankfully the company replaced these nappies for me and updated there instruction manual.
I know how much these nappies can cost and it would be advisable to ring/email the company and find out first, I'm surprised they did not provide this information to you, check out their website. They are alot more delicate than what I thought.
Mine had to be line dryed after each wash to get the absorbancy. It is not advisable to soak these nappies or to use much detergent. It does take a while to wear in and they may wet through (babies clothes) several times before they become more absorbant but they'll get there.
When mine first starting coming apart at the seems I was washing them in warm water, intensive wash, and fast spin in a front loader, I now wash them in cold water, delicate cycle and medium spin. The bamboo was a more delicate material than the hemp product though. I hope this helps!
Hi.. I used peapods for my twin 3 yrs ago. Remember with cloth nappies not to soak them or use much detergent as the detergent can build up on the nappies and make them leak.
I usually just wash the nappies once then put them on but change them more regulary for the first few wears.
I washed my peapods in 30 or 40 degree water, normal cycle and fast spin and i used them for 2 years for my girls and they were still in good condition and am using the same ones on my son so you dont need to do gentle washes or anything.

Hi the last 2 weeks my peapods dont seem to last as long as normal, they normaly last 3-4 hrs but now his body suit will be soaked after an hour or so, this started when the kids where staying with my parents while we where away, just wondering if she'd used to much powder when washing.I know you can put somthing in the wash to stop this but cant remember what??

jade82

Hi the last 2 weeks my peapods dont seem to last as long as normal, they normaly last 3-4 hrs but now his body suit will be soaked after an hour or so, this started when the kids where staying with my parents while we where away, just wondering if she'd used to much powder when washing.I know you can put somthing in the wash to stop this but cant remember what??

Apparently you add a cup of white vinegar. I'm yet to try it but I've been told it by a few people smile

Apparently you add a cup of white vinegar. I'm yet to try it but I've been told it by a few people smile

I've got a front loader, so do i put the vinger in the drawer when i put the powder in and what slot i got 3 in mine?

jade82

Vinegar will make your covers or all in one nappies lose their waterproofness or reduce their liefspan very quickly.....sorry, I am very tired....I am sure there is a better word then waterproofness, but it eludes me....smile

Vinegar will make your covers or all in one nappies lose their waterproofness or reduce their liefspan very quickly.....sorry, I am very tired....I am sure there is a better word then waterproofness, but it eludes me....smile
Sorry should have said I have peapods and the terry fitted nappies. its the peapods that have been leaking, not all of them tho. mind you I only just got the fitted ones so only washed the once but have a few different covers for them some with leg gussets but 'within minutes of doing a wee my boys clothes are soaked, i make sure there snug as possible around the legs, never look perfect to me though.

jade82

Hi - I used Fuzzi Bunz with my daughter and they are great! The instructions that came with them said that people used to use vinegar to strip them (get rid of detergent residue) but that the suggestion now is to start with clean dry nappies, then do two hot washes with the correct amount of powder (ie about half as much as you would put in if they were clothes) then do another hot wash without powder and look at the water coming out, if it was sudsy then keep doing hot rinses until the water has no sign of detergent. I've not tried this smile it seems like a whole lot of hot water!! Plus I've never needed to - although, I have to say it is a challenge stopping myself putting more detergent into a machine full of poohy nappies huh
Oh, and I forgot to mention, occasionally giving them a blast in the dryer seems to help keep the PUL fabric waterproof! Sorry if this is irrelevant, I don't know what peapods are made out of grin
Sign in to follow this topic