Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Your Baby - General Chat
  5. 1st Birthday gift "list" tacky?

1st Birthday gift "list" tacky? Lock Rss

So, I was thinking about making a list of gift suggestions for my family for my son's first birthday. Connor already has WAY too many stuffed toys and, well just toys in general. I don't want to seem ungrateful, but wouldn't it make more sense for DS to get things he actually NEEDS for his birthday?

Obviously I wouldn't make the list "You MUST buy one of these things for Connor", rather I'd label it "Gift suggestion list" to just give people a general idea of what Connor needs and maybe add a footnote "Connor already has lots and lots of stuffed teddys, so it would be appreciated if none were purchased for Connor please"

I dunno, I just know Connor is going to get spoiled like crazy for his first birthday. He's the first Grandchild, great grandchild to both my family and my partners family. He's also the first nephew to my sister and all 4 of my partners sisters, lol.

Does it seem tacky/rude or demanding? I'd rather Connor not get a bunch of stuff I would end up just having to donate because we really don't have the space for more stuffed toys and stuff.
I don't know about giving people a list. Its a shame to end up with a lot of things you dont need though. Maybe just make suggestions to people in conversations. Mention how much he needs new pyjamas for winter or how he is loving books...or whatever it is you want him to have? People might pick up on the hint without you needing to formalise it in a list???
I think if you are including it in an invite then yes it's a little tacky. I'd be inclined to write a list of stuff he needs and when you're talking to grandparents, aunties etc mention it in conversation like 'if you haven't already bought connor a present he really needs...'. I've actually been subtly mentioning to various family members how many stuffed toys Lily has for the past few months, hopefully they take the hint and don't buy any more as it seems a shame to waste money on 'dust collectors' but in the end i think littlies and stuffed toys go hand in hand!

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds,
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.

Just suggest nappies......if anyone asks.... or tell a friend in convo that gosh your wee guy has heaps of stuffed toys how should you display them?

personally I wouldn't give out a list its a bit rude,but give suggestions if people ask.... say he has lots of stuffed toys which we love but he needs such and such....

we had a bbq for our daughter and said no presents just something to share... and if they wanted to we just said nappies please..... any size bigger than she is.....

But at the end of the day if he gets given 20 stuffed toys and 20 baby blankets he's a loved little boy.... you could always donate them to st johns ambalance as they give a stuffed toy to any child that rides in the ambalance..

Personally I wouldn't give out a list its a bit rude,but give suggestions if people ask.... say he has lots of stuffed toys which we love but he needs such and such....

Definitely keep your own list but just refer to it, if people ask what they should get, or if you happen to mention it to people.

For DS first birthday, we asked for clothes in Size 1 or 2. This way, he had still to grow into them, and also they were a practical present. It was hard for some, especially the first time grandparents and first time aunts and uncles tongue .

Mind you, this can also backfire. We ended up with 7 (different) sets of toy story summer pj's for DS this past christmas, as everyone knew he was into toy story and all had the same idea! Considering we already had 3 sets for him to wear, we were a little inundated with summer pj's!

His Royal Highness, Prince William

I wouldnt give out a list, but keep in mind what you would like, for example, DS is getting a blackboard/whiteboard/easel for his 2nd bday, but I am not going to buy stacks of chalk, paint etc. I will buy him a small amt of chalk so he can play with it when he gets it, but the other 'accessories' are things that I am suggesting to family to buy for him when they ask what I want, as well as a few other things I would like for him. For his first bday, I had clothes and books on the 'list' mainly I think

Hmm maybe don't include it with the invitation but if anyway asks give them a list of options??

TBH i would LOVE a list for other kids. Sometimes i just have NO idea what to get them lol and i HATE when parents say no dont get them anything, of course your not going to turn up empty handed lol

Hmm maybe don't include it with the invitation but if anyway asks give them a list of options??

TBH i would LOVE a list for other kids. Sometimes i just have NO idea what to get them lol and i HATE when parents say no dont get them anything, of course your not going to turn up empty handed lol

That is why I was thinking of making a list - I know I would LOVE to get a list of things to buy my little cousins rather than try and guess what they need or don't have too much of >.>

I mentioned it to my Mum and she said she wants a list and would love to have lists for all of her neices and nephews, so maybe I'll just give it to my immediate family and I'll ask DF to ask his mum if she'd like a list she could work with.
I don't think I would include a list, but all of my family members ask what they can get for the kids & I do the same.

Well all except my MIL who just gets whatever regardless of if its needed. She will ask, then still buy it even if we say we have already bought it.
She asked if she could buy DD swimmers for her 1st xmas & DH & I both said no, please don't cause we wanted to buy her 1st pair (besides she had already bought a cabbage patch doll & we felt that was more than enough). Xmas day rolled around & we open a pair of swimmers. They ended up being returned to the shop cause we didn't need them.
I would find it rude if I received a list without asking. I always just let people know that if they need ideas for presents I am happy to supply them!

I would find it rude if I received a list without asking. I always just let people know that if they need ideas for presents I am happy to supply them!

Actually that is a really good idea.
On the invitation, you could write "if you would like to purchase a gift but are stuck for ideas, let us know when you RSVP and we can give you some pointers" or something like that.

His Royal Highness, Prince William

I like the idea of getting a list. Makes it so much easier to buy something in one go then going to the shop, looking at everything, wondering what the child would like, then not buying anything and having to ask.

I wish people had asked for DD's birthdays/christmas. Her bedroom floor is covered in toys and I'm sick of picking them up. The things she loves/needs are books and clothes. But she always gets toys. Very frustrating. And that's with telling everyone not to buy her toys! They don't think to ask so this year, I'm making a list and they all get a copy. smile

Sign in to follow this topic