Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

baby sign language Lock Rss

Hey guys. my DH and I have decided to start signing to our 6 month old! We are totally excited! We are going by 'signing for dummies' - Jennifer Watson. It's a really easy to follow book and you only start with 4-6 words and baby only learns that many at a time.

Anyone else doing it? Or know someone doing it? How are you finding it?

Thanks smile
hi there

we used a few signs, just the basics. milk, toilet, nappy....I can't remember if we did any others. It was great though! Very handy.
Oh awesome. How long did it take for your little one to pick it up and start signing back? Did you stop it once she could start talking?
dd1 I think we started at 8 months and she was signing milk by 10. nappy by 12. toilet we only started at 18months when we put the potty out, but she picked up that within 2 weeks. It was great as she could tell us she needed to go to the toilet before she could talk and she was tt by 2.

dd2 we started from birth with milk, she only signed it occasionally though. she started around 6 months. SHe was more a demanding grabber though....lol. SHe was walking by 10.5 months so she was much more likely to come up and stick her hand down my top instead! she signed nappy all the time though from about 12 months. (didn't start that one until later)

Once dd1 started talking we did stop signing most of the time. But it was EXTREMELY handy for places where we were being discreet or when we were too far to hear. (outside, playground etc) She is 4now and we can still use it in these situations.

We also discovered it was good for adults! We were at a dinner party with lots of loud dinner convo. the other adults hadseen dd1 signing milk. when it came time for coffee,rather then disturbing the conversation they just all signed milk to each other when they wanted it!

dd1 I think we started at 8 months and she was signing milk by 10. nappy by 12. toilet we only started at 18months when we put the potty out, but she picked up that within 2 weeks. It was great as she could tell us she needed to go to the toilet before she could talk and she was tt by 2.

dd2 we started from birth with milk, she only signed it occasionally though. she started around 6 months. SHe was more a demanding grabber though....lol. SHe was walking by 10.5 months so she was much more likely to come up and stick her hand down my top instead! she signed nappy all the time though from about 12 months. (didn't start that one until later)

Once dd1 started talking we did stop signing most of the time. But it was EXTREMELY handy for places where we were being discreet or when we were too far to hear. (outside, playground etc) She is 4now and we can still use it in these situations.

We also discovered it was good for adults! We were at a dinner party with lots of loud dinner convo. the other adults hadseen dd1 signing milk. when it came time for coffee,rather then disturbing the conversation they just all signed milk to each other when they wanted it!

Thanks for that! I have heard about how handy it is in busy or loud places! We will just try be vigilant!

I think some kids seem to be more verbal and some seem to be more visual. Mine seem to be fairly verbal but I have had a few friends whose kids have naturally used a lot of sign to describe things before they can verbalise it. Our local primary school uses the jolly phonics literacy program and it teaches literacy by showing a picture of the relevant letters, making the sound and having an action for each phonetic sound. This is meant to ensure that the learning caters for children of different learning types.

I haven't used sign language but have used verbal cues? I have found bubs from around 6 months can learn verbal cues eg sleep time soon or one, two, three, catch etc. You could probably do both in combination.

I have heard some people say they think using sign language might discourage talking but I can't see any harm in it, esp if you are always saying the word at the same time for them.

I hope it goes well for you smile

Thanks smile That's good that schools cater to different learning types! I really struggled in school and college as I'm kinesthetic and part visual. So they didn't give me what I needed. But yes, signing will incorporate audio, visual and kinesthetic as you are learning all at one time smile
We did Baby Signs with DS from 6 months old, but he didn't start signing back until about 9 months. The best ones were All Done and More, which were great at dinnertime because he could tell us if he was finished or if he wanted more. He also learned basic signs like Bath, Cat, Dog, Bird etc, so it made it less frustrating to communicate with us. He could tell us he could hear a bird etc. It hasn't effected his talking at all - At 2.5, we can't shut him up!! We'll be teaching DS2 Baby Signs too.
I started signing some words to my DS when he was 9 months, but he only started using some sign language at 13 or 14 months - about the same time he started saying single words too. I guess it didn't make any difference whether it was signing or speaking - it was still language/expression and therefore developed at the same pace for him.

However, I found that he is more consistent with the signed words (he will often speak as he signs) as opposed to the spoken only words. It has been VERY helpful in reducing tantrums and frustration at not being understood - especially with words/phrases that are too tricky to say (such as 'help me' or 'all gone'). The only down side is he can be signing "help me" and if I am not watching, I don't notice!!

When picking up new phrases/words, I found putting him in a situation where he needs to sign to be understood helped him pick it up quicker. For example - his first signed word was "more" - and I helped/encouraged him to sign it and gave him bits of crackers. After 1 week he was using 'more' for things other than food. Other signs I just went with what he did naturally - rather than just by the book.

Good luck!
Hi there, I went to a couple of baby sign classes before having DD (years before! Lol) for work. I have used it with her from birth. She is 7 months now and recognises the signs I have used. She cries when I sign milk if she wants a booby feed, opens her mouth for more, cries at food if she is hungry, smiles and kicks her legs at bath etc, so really good indicators for me.

Kids who practice signing actually often end up with a "double" vocabulary, that is spoken words and sign that add up to more language than some others have at different age groups. It does not discourage them from talking smile they may use sign for some words for longer than you think is necessary but they will say it and lessen or drop the signing as they progress verbally.

Deaf children also often learn to spell earlier as they need to sign (spell) names out, also for eg. There is no sign for "egg" so they spell it grin clever little bunnies!

Good luck with it, just remember to be consistent!

LHB

Sign in to follow this topic