Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Your Baby - General Chat
  5. Leg Cramps in the middle of the night

Leg Cramps in the middle of the night Rss

Hi all,

I'm 21 wks and I have been experiencing the most painful calf leg cramps in the middle of the night. Last night it was my left leg, the other night it was both. It felt so painful I nearly cried. What can I do to stop these cramps from happening?

Thanks
Try taking magnesium and calcium supplements. When they happen try to keep your leg straight and pull your foot up - don't point your toes and flex your foot down. Hope they get better soon, I know they hurt like hell!
When I get these I just hp out of bed and stand up and it stops straight away. They really do hurt.
Might try the magnesium and calcium as well smile
Try walking around if they get really bad. Stretching can help too. Try keeping your feet warm, as sometimes having cold feet can trigger them, though I know it can happen when you're warm as well. Best of luck smile

Hi,

I'm 21 weeks pregnant too and also get the leg cramps during the night.

What I have found is that they occur when I stretch out my legs and point my toes down! As soon as I realise I'm doing this (ie pain!!) I immediately stop flexing my toes and stretch so that my feet are stretched the opposite way (ie towards me) Does that make sense? Hard to describe! I find the pain stops straight away.

I've also heard that eating bananas (potassium) helps with the cramps.

When they happen try to keep your leg straight and pull your foot up - don't point your toes and flex your foot down.

Just read what amm17 said - and that's exactly what I was trying to describe smile
Don't sleep on your back - the cramps are caused by lack of blood flow to your leg muscles. Try and sleep on your sides smile
Oh and drink heaps of water
I had those too they SUCK! Like PP said I think more water and magnesium.
I had them when preg with dd, worst pain ever!! doc told me to get magnesium tablets to go with my preg multi's..They sure help.. good luck.
Sign in to follow this topic