Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Your Baby - General Chat
  5. First baby due in winter, HELP!

First baby due in winter, HELP! Lock Rss

So our little baby girl is due on the 5th of June, and me being a Queenslander living in the strange land of South Australia..well lets say I am getting worried. You see I spent a month in winter here last year before I moved here in spring and I have never experienced such cold. Maybe its just the fact that I had lived on the sunshine coast my whole life and really did not know what cold winters felt like however I am getting very worried about having her when it is getting cold. So im thinking that I need recomendations on how to keep her warm once I bring her home from the hospital. The funny thing is, im not at all worried about giving birth or anything else that other people would be scared of, im just terrified that she will be cold and i wont know how to keep her warm. How will i know if she is warm or cold or even too warm....She will be mine and my fiancés first and I dont want to break her...please help
My daughter was born in June (although I'm in QLD, it still was cold). I used bonds wondersuits because they have turn over mittens and also put a singlet underneath. Also swaddle your baby in a nice thick bunny rug although be careful using a fleecy or synthetic material as these heat up really quickly. We used to swaddle DD and then put a cotton blanket over her and this was enough.

Other suggestion would be to use flanalette sheets (sorry can't think of spelling today, massive headache) and another thing we did was to use a hot water bottle to warm the sheets up before putting her in the cot, although obviously take this out before putting bub in.

Don't go by how bubs hands/feet feel, they're always cold! If bub is cold she won't settle, if she's too warm her back will be sweaty

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

I grew up in SA and now live in Melboure so I know how you feel goring form somewhere warmer to somewhere freezing (yes I am saying SA was warm- compared to Melbourne in winter anyway) a good rule of thumb is that bubs will always need 1 more layer than you are wearing. Target have sets of clothes with body suit pants top beanie and a double layer Jacket I found these great, cause they are warm but not bulky.

Two beautiful girls, hubby working from home makes one happy mumma smile
[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb2f.lilypie.com...]

Eskimos have babies and they survive fine! Be careful of overheating though, it usually happens in winter as people rug their babies up too much smile

DS - Nov 2008 & DD - Feb 2012

i had a winter baby too (late july). smile i lived off those bonds wondersuits! They were heaps great, nice and warm and with those mitts that u turn over. add a singlet underneath, a beanie and wrap them up. Have a few blankets as a spare incase bubs throws up on one.

i had a winter baby too (late july). smile i lived off those bonds wondersuits! They were heaps great, nice and warm and with those mitts that u turn over. add a singlet underneath, a beanie and wrap them up. Have a few blankets as a spare incase bubs throws up on one.

Yep, I agree, but be careful about using a beanie during sleep. Babies regulate their body temperature through their head, so basically if you have bubs all wrapped up AND then put a beanie on, there is no way for heat to escape and that could lead to baby overheating.

Try not to worry about it too much, healthy, full term babies are very vocal when they are not comfortable or happy about something. So if you have fed, changed bub etc and they are not settled, try adding/removing clothes and see if that helps smile

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

I agree with previous post about the beanie. Don't let them sleep with a beanie on as they can't regulate their temperature well. Do use a beanie if your outside at all though. But not in the car as they can get quite warm in the car seat and with heaters going.

My son spent his first few months in warm jumpsuits and singlets (especially in winter) and at night time added a blanket or two depending on how cold it was). He was born April, so heading into the cooler months.

All the best, I'm sure your bub will be warm!!!
Sign in to follow this topic