Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Your Baby - General Chat
  5. Shouldn't he be rear-facing?

Shouldn't he be rear-facing? Lock Rss

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/royal-tour/9906...

Plunket says rear face to min 2 years old so I highly doubt they would install a forward facing seat for an 8 month old.

If that really is his seat and to be installed forward facing then quite frankly I'm disgusted with plunket! But then again it says the seat was provided by Buckingham Palace so if it's a forward faving only seat then what can they do?

Unless you can't rear face in a limo?! I've never been in one!

Yeah T I just noticed that.....poor bubba. Hopefully they aren't in a crash or his poor little royal neck will snap like a twig.

Pixie Chick wrote:
Yeah T I just noticed that.....poor bubba. Hopefully they aren't in a crash or his poor little royal neck will snap like a twig.

I know! sad

she was checking the seat fits in a car similar to the one they'll be using. It's not officially fitted into the car yet, just checking to make sure it will fit, so it wouldn't surprise me if they have the seat forward facing to avoid straps in the picture etc. Will be interesting to see how it's fitted officially when they actually arrive though.

Leisa.
I don't know about NZ but in Australia you can turn the car seat around at 6 months or a certain size. I turned DD around when she turned 6 months and I'm planning on turning DS's car seat around in a couple of weeks when he's 6 months. DD was much happier when she got turned around as she was always trying to sit up and see want was going on. DS is the same.
The uk is a bit like Australia, it is very common to front face a child from 6 months. In fact, by the time a child is out of a capsule they are forwarded faced.

Nay7 wrote:
I don't know about NZ but in Australia you can turn the car seat around at 6 months or a certain size. I turned DD around when she turned 6 months and I'm planning on turning DS's car seat around in a couple of weeks when he's 6 months. DD was much happier when she got turned around as she was always trying to sit up and see want was going on. DS is the same.

Nay please go on youtube and search rear facing vs forward facing. It's 5 times safer to rear face and should be done to the maximum your car seat will allow.....preferably to at least 2 years. Its not about head control. Its about your baby or toddler being internally decapitated ie breaking their neck if they are in a crash. If forward facing in a crash their large heads are flung forward with a lot of force....the force is exaggerated due to their heads being large in proportion to their bodies. The strain can break their neck even in a 50 kph 8crash. Rear facing in a crash they are pushed back into the seat and the seat takes the force of the crash.....not their necks.

In Sweden they rear face to 4 years and have extremely low injury rates for children in crashes. My son is still rear facing as he's in a swedish seat. Fortunately in NZ we have access to seats that rear face longer. Australia has some that aren't too bad like infasecure neon and most others will get you to at least age 1.

Links here have some good info:
http://www.carseat.se/rearfacing/rear-facing-ba...

http://www.carseat.se/rear-facing-car-seats-and...

Sign in to follow this topic