Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

toothbrushes? Rss

hi just wondering what is the best toothbrush to get for babies teeth? my daughter has just got her first and many more on the way any advice would be great thanx.
Hi, I bought for Corey a toothbush by Colgate. It is for babies - 6-18months old.

Michelle, mum to Corey 14/3/03 - Bankstown

I was just reading this post and I thought hang on, my girls 9 months old and got 8 teeth and I never thought about a toothbrush. Do you use toothpaste?
Advice appreciated

Lisa, SA, baby girl (4.5.03)

hi kooky mum i think you do use toothpaste well i will anyway when i find a good toothbrush that is.
Hi all,
Colgate have excellent "first" toothbrushes for babies. They are really soft, and get them used to brushing their teeth, however, it is advised "not" to use tooth paste until they are at least 12 months of age, but preferably not until they at least 2 years of age. With very young baby teeth, the toothpaste actually does more damage to their teeth. My 2nd cousin used toothpaste on her sons teeth from 5 months of age thinking she was doing the right thing. He never ate sweets or sweet biscuits, flavoured milks, chocolate etc, but by the time he was 2 years old, 8 of his baby teeth had to be removed because they were rotten. The dentist told my cousin it was because she had used toothpaste on his teeth before he was 2 years old, so please think carefully before you decide to use toothpaste on your babies teeth. Remember, they only have 2 sets for life!!
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

hi thankyou so much for your reply i think i will just stick to the toothbrush and not use the toothpaste quite yet i thought toothpaste was good for there teeth thankyou so much for that information i wont be using toothpaste just yet.
Hi Nat,
No problem. When you do start to use toothpaste, make sure you use the toothpaste designed for children under 6 years of age. I think it is called "first" toothpaste too. It is also made by Colgate and is an excellent toothpaste.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

thankyou for your help tracy very much appreciated thanx.
Hi
My baby doesnt have teeth yet so Im not speaking from experience.
But I heard that when they are still really little and using a toothbrush might be a bit awkward you can just wipe their teeth with a soft cloth.
But I agree that using the toothbrush early is a great idea to get them used to it..as long as its not awkward trying to use it on them.
hi well i brought a toothbrush one of them stages ones and i tryed it with my little girl and she loves it she thinks it is funny when i brush her teeth she opens her mouth up and lets me brush and giggles as i am brushing it is so cute.
Hi
My 11 month old daughter has 7 teeth, and she abolutely hates letting me put a toothbrush inside her mouth. We had a big battle tonight where she flat out refused, struggled, kicked and carried on (with lips clamped shut). I have tried it with nothing on it and also with a little toothpaste on it (but will not use toothpaste now - thanks for that advice) but neither makes a difference. She is happy to chew the brush (and the wrong end also) herself for all of about 5 secs before she throws it away in boredom. I am worried that we will never get "used" to brushing our teeth and the problems that may be in store because of that.
Any advice?

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

Hi
My 11 month old daughter has 7 teeth, and she abolutely hates letting me put a toothbrush inside her mouth. We had a big battle tonight where she flat out refused, struggled, kicked and carried on (with lips clamped shut). I have tried it with nothing on it and also with a little toothpaste on it (but will not use toothpaste now - thanks for that advice) but neither makes a difference. She is happy to chew the brush (and the wrong end also) herself for all of about 5 secs before she throws it away in boredom. I am worried that we will never get "used" to brushing our teeth and the problems that may be in store because of that.
Does anybody have any advice?

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

Sign in to follow this topic