Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

toothbrushes? Rss

Sorry about posting that twice - the computer said something about it 'failing to post' and then would not allow me to do it without making a change to it. Did not mean to repeat it twice.

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

This post has been edited by the moderator.
This post has been edited by the moderator.
Hi Linda,
Just try brushing her teeth, and if she won't let you, let her play with the brush herself. If she is putting it in her mouth, she will get used to it. Their is no rush, but it is a good idea to get them used to the feel of the brush, but not at the expense of tears and frustration. Just let her play with it for a couple of minutes, then take it off her and put it away until next time. She will soon get the message that it isn't really all that bad. My 11 month old, lets me brush his teeth for all of 3 seconds, then he wants to hold it and put it in his mouth, which I let him do for a minute or two, the he cries for a few seconds when I take it away, but he is getting used the idea, that mum does it first, then I have a turn, then it gets put away. Hope this helps you.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

hello!!!!!!!

I had a similar question recently and the advice I got was to use a cloth with cooled boiled water.
From K-mart I found a 3 pack of rubber tooth brushes, aparently you shouldn't use toothpaste because a child dosen't learn to spit until about the age of 2.
Hope this helps...

Vic, 3 y.o boy

my 9 month old loves having his teeth brushed! and when you stop brushing them he cries!

all the best everyone on teeth brushing!

melissa, vic, Patrick 2.5 & Laura 15 months

hi well my daughter also loves having her teeth brushed she opens up and lets me brush away and sometimes she trys to chew on the brissles but dosent mind letting me brush which really suprised me i thought it would be a really big challenge.
I use the McLean's toothbrush designed for children (it is a really cute dinosaur design) with a small smear of the McLeans "milk teeth" toothpaste which is designed for first teeth. My understanding as far as the toothpaste is concerned is not to use adult toothpaste (too high in flouride and can affect colour of adult teeth), and also to make sure you only use a small amount.
George isn't too keen on the whole thing, so I usually only manage a fairly cursory scrub of both top and bottom chewing surfaces (inner and outer surfaces are not going to happen without tying him down and using some sort of torture device), I then give him the brush and he chews if for a bit.

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

hi sable where did you buy the milk teeth toothpaste? i dont think i have ever seen it before here.
Unfortunately I think I got it as part of a Karicare club I joined which no longer exists, but it should be available at most supermarkets. If not try going onto www.macleans.co.nz which has a contact us link (I couldn't find an aussie site), send them an e-mail and hopefully they'll be able to tell you.
Let us know how you go!

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

Hi there, if you are after milk tooth you can get it in most supermarkets in aus, but you dont have to use toothpaste and if you do you only need the slightest, all that we are doing is teaching our children good habits, as many posts have said colgate has a baby toothbrush and toothpaste as well..

tayla 16/08/03

hi guys thanx well i found some my first colgate toothpaste in the supermarket the other day so i grabbed some of that.My daughter loves it i only put the smallest amount on until she learns to spit properly she loves getting her teeth brushed she thinks it is so fun hows your little one go getting teeth brushed?
Sign in to follow this topic