Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Growth & Development
  5. is this also part of their development???

is this also part of their development??? Rss

Hi

My name is elena and I have a gorgeous 8.5 mth old named, James. Lately he is fascinated with his hands, stares at them, watches what they do when he holds his toys etc . This is all really sweet to watch.... however, he is also grabbing on to people's hair and won't let go and what seems like trying to pull people's faces off!!! I read somewhere that babies love exploring mum's, dad's basically anyone's face, however it does seem at times like there's a slight aggressive streak? We have tried saying no, pull hand away when he does it etc but he just looks at us and smiles. Is this also part of their development????

helena- vic- ds-3.5 dd- 1

Hi elena,

My son is almost 8 months old and h does the same. He can be very rough sometimes and just gives you a cheeky look when you tell him no.
I wouldn't be worrie i think it is just a part of their learning process. I've also noticed that he likes to do things to see what our reaction is
Larnie

Mummy to Joshie 15/07/03 & Hannah Lily 26/02/06

Hi,
This is a natural part of their development, however, it is wise to continue to say no and take their hand away, or they will think it is ok to play rough, and they will be rougher as they grow up. My sister in law is discovering this now. She thought it was cute too, and let her son go. By the time he was 15 months old, he was being so rough with her, he was leaving bruises on her face and body. He is now almost 2 years old, grabs at peoples faces, punches, kicks hits, slaps and pinches anyone who looks at him. Too him, it is just normal play, as this is what he grew up being allowed to do. When he is told NO, it makes him even more aggressive and he hits harder. His aggression is also affecting him going to kindy now too.

My advise, would be to tell him no now, so that he learns it is not acceptable behaviour when he is older. Good luck.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

hi,
my daughter is 11 months and is has been doing this for a while. She understands the word "no" but when it comes to scratching at my face she just laughts at me and continues to do it. I have now started to give her 2 warning 'no''s and then put her on the ground or walk away for a minute. I am tryint to let her know I will not play that 'game' with her. She cries terribly when I do this so I know she is getting the idea. However, she is still scratching me from time to time....hopefullt teaching her boundaries will pay off when she is a bit older
Hi Tracey

This is exactly the type of behaviour I did not want to contribute to or promote. Like you said it is cute at the beginning but I would imagine the older he gets the stronger he will be and I am afraid that he may hurt someone or even start to scratch etc other children. Being a boy too,(i hear they tend to be a little rougher than girls).

Thanks for your advise and I will continue to say no, and take his hand away from my face when he does it.

Still very cute tho when he looks at you with those cheeky blue eyes:-)

Hi Kj

Saying No and putting him down sounds like a really good idea, I will try this next time he does it. This morning when he tried it again I held his hand and let him pat me gently guiding him with my own hand and he did it again later, on his own!!(pated mummy's face gently). Will keep persisting. Kids need boundaries no matter how young they are.

smile

Sign in to follow this topic