Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

my baby is small Rss

my boy if five months old.He was 2320grams at birth which is 5 lb 3.
He now weighs 6200 grams and is 63 cm long.
He was only 6 days early when born.
The clinic nurse that I see tells me is the sixe of three and a half month baby.
Are there any other babies that are small for age.
Love to hear.
Mia weighed 5lb 5oz born so they were both in the 1-2% range. She is just a skinny minny!

Just looked up her yellow book and these are her weights to help you compare a little...

4.5 mths = 5.99kg
6 mths = 6.49kg
8 mths = 7.50kg
9 mths = 7.9kg
10 mths = 8.7kg (although this was the first time I weighed her at a different CHC)

The new CHN I went to told me that they look for the little crease in the wrist and ankles and if they have these, not to worry.

Mia is just beautiful but growing up far to quick! grin

hey jacks mum....your baby is doing fine....when my girl was born she weighed 6 pound 5 ounces....and was 49 cm long ( she was three weeks early)!!!! She is only 65 cm long and she is 8 months....truly....he is doing fine!!!! She's only around 9 kgs now so I wouldn't be worrying

Kelly (23) Brisbane, mum to Tahlia 11months

Hi. My little man was born 8p 10, so was a nice big baby and he continued to put on good weight until about 3mths old when he got reflux and my milk dried up.

He is now 8mths old and is only 7.7kg, i get worried because they say they should double there birth weight by 4mths and he hasnt even done it by 8mths. I also get sick and tired of the CHN and Drs saying to me each time - "oh we will have to keep an eye on his weight for next month". They never have an answer for me.

Jacks mum - dont worry (i know its hard) but at least your little fellas doubled his birth weight he sounds like hes making up good grounds. My bubs gone from 98th on the projectile to around 12th, and both his lenght and head circumfrence is over 50th.

I have an appointment with a pediatrician next month so i really hope i can finally get some answers. (its going to cost over $80 so id better)

Good luck

Jesse 27/03/05 Kynan 19/07/07 Amber 12/03/09

I dont think you have anything to worry about as long as he is doing everythin he is suppose to be doing.My oldest is two and a half and is just 10kgs he is wearing size 0 clothes.When he was younger he had lots of tests done cause of his weight but there isnt anything rong he is just going to be little.As long as the lines in the yelow book are going up then its all ok.I now have a 3 month old who is putting on weight a lot faster than my first son even though he was smaller born
Hi

My baby is 4 mths old and weighs 5.3 kg and 60cm long. She was 6lb 9 when born. I always have people comment on how small she is , especially as she has a cousin who is 6 weeks younger and he weighs 7 kgs already. I don't worry about her size, so long as she is healthy, she has rolls of fat on her thighs and arms.

My older daughter was also small and I worried about her weight constantly until a Child Nurse told me that so long as they are putting on weight and have plenty of pooey & wet nappies, there is nothing to worry about. Just like as adults we are all different sizes, so are our children.

P.S. My tiny older daughter who I stressed about is now a healthy 18kilo 3 year old!

Michelle,SA,DD1 4 yo, DD2 9/8/05

Both my twins are little. One was 6lb8oz, 47cm at birth and is now still only 7kgs and 70cm at nine months. She looks chubby and eats well, so i don't worry about the averages. People always assume they're younger, i just tell them they're petite!

Kelly, 22, 1 @ 25/1/04, 2 @9/3/05, 1@5/4/06

Hi jacks mum & and all the other mums smile

I took my 8 1/2 month old daughter to the clinic yesterday and she only weighs 6.3kg, 63cm in length and her head circ measures 43cm. She was 3.2kg at birth - so pretty average - she just hasn't grown a lot since. My son (now 2 1/2 yrs) was the same. I think they both got my "small genes" - I'm only 152cm tall. So try not to worry too much I'm sure by now your baby is bigger than mine and 2 months younger. The nurse told me yesterday as long as their height and weight are in proportion and they are having some weight gain and plenty of wet nappies they don't worry. I know it's hard not to worry though - I still do with my second baby even though I've been through it all with my first, and he's turned out to be a happy and healthy toddler with loads of energy. It's just hard sometimes as everyone elses babies always seem bigger - you never come across any other small babies, apart from here smile One good thing is they get heaps of wear out of their clothes - my daughter is only just getting into 00's now - still in 000's for some things and my son is in size 1 mainly but 2 in some things.

Take care
Jasmine
Hi Jack's mum
Jack is not small!! I would haved loved my daughter to have been that big when she was born.
Brooke was born weighing 450 grams at 23.2 weeks. She is now 29 months old and weighs 9.5kg. She has never reached the 3rd percentile.

Kath

Mum to Brooke 23.2 weeks, 450 grams now 3.5 yrs

Sign in to follow this topic