Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Growth & Development
  5. oh boy... we have a screamer...

oh boy... we have a screamer... Rss

Hi, I am the mum of a very active and (mostly) happy 7 month old boy. He's been crawling since 5.5 mnths and has now worked out how to pull himself up on furniture. All is going great except the screaming - no holding back, top of his lungs type of screaming. He seems to get a good scream going for anything - hungry, tired, bored, frustrated and even when he's happy about something. The last 2 weeks he has started to scream in pram whilst doing the Xmas shopping which results in him getting carried around. Has anyone got any ideas on how I might "control" this behaviour? My hubby thinks we should discipline him (like put him in cot/highchair when he does it) but I just dont believe he is doing it to manipulate, yet. I am really worried it will lead to some terrible temper tantrums in the near future... Any ideas??? please???
oh no! I ahve no ideas ut i totally feel for u! When my boy was 8 months he leart the scream and it went everywhere with him, for no reason at all, basically just for ateention, though even when u gave hi attention he still did it! A nurse told me once they learn a new trick they keep doin it till they learn a new one! he would do it in the supermarket and if mum had him in the trolley i could find em no worries1 lol and one time a lady was picking up domething off a shelf and bent down ( she had already given me 3 dirty looks about the " screamer) and as she bent down, ash leaned over and let out a HUGE scream in her ear! i just laughed and walked away! it wa sso embarrassing but all us mums, we know how u feel, most of us have or will e there!
goodluck, oh one thing i did was bribe him with devon thru woolies1 lol

Ashton 13/8/04, dylan 27/8/05, #3 due 22/9/07

Hi Jules

My little girl (8.5 months) does exactly the same. She has been doing this for about 4 weeks now. I do believe it is the age they are at. They are so curious now and want to see everything that is going on. I made the mistake of carrying her whilst at the shops and now she loses it everytime we try to put her back in the pram as she can't seem to see enough. I don't have any suggestions, just wanted you to know you are not alone in this. I don't think discipline is the answer because I don't think they understand. Him screaming is only his way of communicating. Hopefully they will grow out of it. My little one is better now than she use to be now that she is learning other ways to communicate like pointing etc. but it is still embarrassing at times!

Goodluck

T
Hi, I have a 7 month old and oh yeah she can scream not as much as i have read your little one does but I get through her screams and soaks pretty good now, she always cried to picked up or not left alone but now when you walk out the room you would think something just stung her with the way she cries now I just keep walking don't turn around and 30 seconds later it stops and when i walk back in she's playing happily.
Hi, I have a 7 month old and oh yeah she can scream not as much as i have read your little one does but I get through her screams and cries pretty good now, she always cried to picked up or not left alone but now when you walk out the room you would think something just stung her with the way she cries now I just keep walking don't turn around and 30 seconds later it stops and when i walk back in she's playing happily.
Hi girls, my 17 week old little girl has been doing the screaming thing for a couple of weeks now, not to bad yet but i am scared. lol. I am also trying the no smile no sound no eye contact for a few seconds when it occurs, Hasn't gotten better or Worse. Just trying to not make it a big deal.
I'm no expert of any kind, but I'd like to share something i heard which I thought made sense.

By placing a child in his or her cot as a form of disipline we are creating a negative enviroment at this location and may run into difficulties with the childs sleeping habits.

It's only a friend of mines thought but maybe ask a midwife or the like...

Good luck all,
I know ill need some.

Liv's Mum.

Ps - " A Toast, to the next generation. May they live long and strong and peaceful this beautiful and demanding world." "Cheers"

new2this

Sign in to follow this topic