Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Reading to your babies Lock Rss

I am just wondering how many mus out there read to their babies and what you read to them and when you read to them... Do you have any tips? What sort of books do you read and how often?

Whataheart - Girls16/1/00, 28/4/05 & 04/09/08

My hubby reads to our bub nearly every day. Generally first thing in the morning after his bottle. He tends to read those soft books that bubs can eat but he does read the hungry caterpiller a fair bit and also Mr Men books - these are a bit harder though as Joe just wants to eat them. At first Joe had no clue what was going on but now he understands and does his version of helping to turn the pages....very cute!

Mummy to Joe and Maggie

Hi,

I read to Chelsea (7 1/2 mths) every evening as part of our bed time routine. I've done this from birth and she loves it. She'll look at me and smile then look at the pages and try to eat them. I have one 'fairy dreams' book which is pretty short and we read that every night. If she's tired she doesn't really focus on anything that's too long. I think she also prefers stories that rhyme or have some sort of melody rather than just blocks of words. When I read to her during the day I use the longer story books with lots of bright pictures. Apart from our bedtime read, we don't really have a certain time or place to read books, it's just whenever I need something to keep her occupied!! We also have a bathtime book (plastic) which she chews in the bath and those soft Lamaze-books which have sticky-out bits that she plays with and chews. I've found that she's too "hands-on" to read books with paper pages yet 'cause she loves to hold them herself and rips them to shreds!! hehe

smile have fun!
I read 3-4 books to DD throughout the day. I have done it since she was about 5 weeks, when she actually spent some time awake - LOL. I made it a part of our routine to get her sitting up and relaxing on my lap after a feed. She use to spew a lot so it helped her food settle - it worked well. Now she totally loves books. She has her 'touch and feel' ones which she explores, hard books which she tries to eat and normal books which she just sits and looks / listens too. She use to try and eat the normal books too until a couple of months ago when she suddenly stopped and listened - so cute. I don't really use the age suggestion on books as a guide. DD may not make it through a whole big book in one sitting. I have to say its my one big weakness as I love books. On that note the following is my favorite book club, worth a look if you like good books and good prices.

www.carnivalclub.com.au

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Hi

I have read to my son since 3mths. He is 11mths and he reads his books to himself (well he turns the pages and talks while looking at the pictures and points to the pictures) everyday and loves them. I just read any babies books to him. The ones he plays with (i have a toy box and they r in there) r Discovers Numbers, shapes and words. They have big pictures with glitter piece's in them, so they look good. He also has touch and feel flash cards. Its really cool when u see him playing on the floor with the books instead of his toys. I think its cause they r in his toy box....

Hi

I have read to my son since 3mths. He is 11mths and he reads his books to himself (well he turns the pages and talks while looking at the pictures and points to the pictures) everyday and loves them. I just read any babies books to him. The ones he plays with (i have a toy box and they r in there) r Discovers Numbers, shapes and words. They have big pictures with glitter piece's in them, so they look good. He also has touch and feel flash cards, which are a-z cards with pictures on them that they can touch and feel .Its really cool when u see him playing on the floor with the books instead of his toys. I think its cause they r in his toy box....I got them books from Go-Lo and the flash cards form Avon

Hi Whataheart

I have a daughter who was born on 14 October 2005 and have been reading to her since she was about one month old. I read to her everyday. I have golden books which I read to her and two other books that have normal childrens short stories (Little red riding hood etc) and two other books that have pictures of animals and numbers. She seems very interested in the books when I read them to her and loves looking at the coloured pictures.

I always read to her after a feed so she has time to digest her milk and not bring it all up.

I think its important to get your child interested in reading.

Best of luck.

Hi! Whataheart,

I read to my daughter every day for about 1/2 hour - she loves it!! Arianna just loves Elmo! So I have found the sesame beginning books fantastic! She adores them! Another one that is a favourite is this gorgeous illustrated book called Incy Wincy Spider - I sind it too her like the lullaby goes - she just goes nuts!!!

I love it! She sits there patiently when I read - and just loves it when i tell her it's time to read! She gets so excited!

I also have millions of golden books! They are great! She loves all the bright pictures the best - and the voices I put on!

Aletha

Arianna, Reagan & Oakley

Sign in to follow this topic