Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

how big is your baby????? Rss

Hi Chelby
Liam is 6 1/2 months old and at his 6 month appointment he weighed 7.84kgs and was 65cm long. he was only on 2 solid feeds a day and four breast feeds (have just started his 3rd solid yesterday).
My health centre nurse was qutite happy with his weight, height, and head size (46.6cm) as its all going up at about the same increase, weight has gone up to about 40% line.
I don't think you daughter sounds too big or small. Check to see what she's been doing so far in her short life and if her weight is increasing at the same rate (height also) don't be concerned.
Once she starts crawling and walking she'll burn up heaps of extra energy, so she may slim out for you then.
Kristy

member since 2004

Gees guys

After reading all your posts i'm a wee bit worried. Ava is 9.5 months and only weighs 7.3kg. She eats like a horse??? MMMMM sounds like she needs fattening up!!!
Ava has 2 weetbix and a piece of toast for breakie, large bowl of meat & vege for lunch, fruit for afternoon tea, meat & vege for dinner followed by 1 can of custard and 4 breast feeds during the day. Am I feeding her enough?? What are you feeding your lil angels??
Hi Sian

Don't worry - my son was 9.35kg at 9 months. He started off 3.8kg at birth and lost nearly 600g while we were still in hospital, but once I got the breastfeeding down pat he started gaining again. But he has always been a slow grower. The other day I weighed him at the chemist and he's gained 500g in 2 weeks which is a first, and I haven't changed what I've been feeding him at all. I've regularly taken him to the clinic to be weighed and measured mainly because I was worried as everyone constantly comments on how small he is but the nurses there have been very supportive and reassuring. They told me that not all babies gain the 'recommended' 150-200g per week, and breastfed babies usually don't follow the perfect curve on the growth charts they generally go up in steps. I'm only just over 5' tall so I think he inherited my short genes smile ! He eats pretty much the same as your daughter, except he is still having 5 breastfeeds per day, he's really active so I think he just burns it all off - I wish I had his metabolism! As long as your daughter is happy and healthy and at least having some weight gain try not to worry. I just think some babies are meant to be chubby and others aren't. I used to give top ups of formula to my son and it made absolutely no difference to his growth. Some people say that babies need a bit of extra weight for when they get sick etc, my son has had a couple of colds but they hardly bothered him at all, he never lost his appetite. If you are really concerned talk to your GP or child health nurse - I'm sure they'll put your mind at ease.

All the best
Jasmine
Hi Chelby

I wouldnt worry too much, our son Michael is 5 months old and weighs 10kgs and is 70cm tall.

He must take after his dad because he is 197cm tall. We have to use toddler nappies for him, it is quite funny really but the obstetrician said all was okay. He even measured his dads head to compare, both their heads are huge. Michael head is already 47cm.

Thank god his head is in proportion with the rest of him. People always think he is about 8 months old, so don't worry, they come in all sizes.

Mary B

Michael, Vic, Born 11-12-03

Had my little man weighed etc yesterday, he is just shy of 8 months, he tipped the scales at 10.1 kg and is 74 cm.
Hello
My daughter is only 4 1/2 months (6/1/04) but she is already 7.2kg, 61cm long, head circumfrence 40.8cm. The doc saids she is not over weight, she has 4 feeds a day (milk only).
She is not a large baby, not that much fat. She is in crawler nappies and hass been for about 1 month.

WA Sasha 6/1/04

Hi
my baby boy is 10 months old and he weighs 11.2 kgs, i nearly fell ever when the nurse told me that, he was only 6pounds born and both myself and my partner are quite small but to look at i don't think he is one of those fat,chubby babies but i suppose he is healthy and that is the main thing huh?

tara

Tara,Bundaberg,10 mth baby boy

Hi Chelby

My baby boy has been on the 90th percentile for weight since 6 weeks old. He is now 11 mths old and weighs 11.5 kgs. People are always commenting "oh what does mummy feed u??" "Geez there's a big boy" and so on. I have trained myself to just smile back lol . James has always been a healthy boy with only one case of the sniffles at 8 mths so i dont worry. He has also been crawling this past month and standing up and walking along furniture and has already lost his chubby cheeks but still has solid legs and a dimply bottom. I have read that once they start to walk the weight will drop off and their appetites also slow down from what i hear after 12 months so enjoy it while we can i say.....
Cheers! smile

helena- vic- ds-3.5 dd- 1

I would not be too concerned, once they are mobile, they slim right down.

My daughter was 8pd 12oz born, at 12 months she was 12 kilos and now at almost 4yrs - she is only 14kilos.

My son was born 9pd 4oz, he is only 4 months old and is already 68cm long and 8.5kilos, but the dr said he is in proportion and was not concerned at all. He is just gonna be a very tall boy.

Jodie, Qld. Madison (09/09/00), Ashton (22/01/04)

My bub is only 16 weeks and weighs 5.79 kilos.... However a l'il boy at her kindermusik class is 20 weeks and weighs 9 kilos

?Anni? QLD, Mummy 2 Courtney & Madisyn040.05)

Hi,

My daughter was just around the 8kg at 6 months and was 69 cm long. She is now 8 months and around the 9kg mark.

If you are worried see your GP

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

okey dokey, well my son was 11.1 at 11 months....lets just see what we get for the big 1. smile

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Sign in to follow this topic