Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Baby has lost weight! Rss

Hi Everyone

I took my baby to the clinic nurse yesterday for her 7-9 month review and discovered that in 3 weeks she has lost about 250g. She has never lost weight before and has always been around the top line on the weight charts. She has now dropped to near average. She has hardly grown in length either since 6 months.

The thing is that she is eating more than ever and is still having 5-6 breastfeeds a day so I can not understand why.

The nurse said not to be concerned yet but will weigh her again in a few weeks. She asked about my milk supply which I thought was OK but how do you tell?? I have been wondering whether my supply was low for a while but was unsure.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions? Do I need to be concerned?

Thanks
Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

she may be going through a growth spurt - I would not worry - I think you will know yourself deep down if things are not right.

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

Hi Kristi

Has she started rolling or crawling recently? Their growth can slow down a bit when they start getting more active and mobile. My 11 mth old son just lost about 300g in a week but that was due to him being sick and going off solids. If your daughter is still having plenty of wet nappies it's a good indication that you are still producing plenty of milk. As you and your baby get better at breastfeeding your milk supply does settle down and you sometimes lose that engorged feeling. I stopped having to use breast pads when my son was about 6 months old as I wasn't leaking anymore but I still had plenty of milk - I'm still breastfeeding him 4-5 times a day now. I'm sure the nurse would have told you if there were any concerns. It's hard not to worry though - my son has always been a slow grower and it's only been in the last couple of months that I stopped worrying about his weight gain. I probably wouldn't leave her next 'weigh-in' for a few weeks though, I'd go in another week or 2 to make sure she isn't losing anymore and just put your mind at ease. If you can't go to the clinic most chemists have scales and if you do find she's still not gaining weight go to the clinic.

Hope this helps
Jasmine smile
Sign in to follow this topic