Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

WONT PLAY ON HER OWN Lock Rss

Does anyone out there have a baby that wont play on their own and needs to be entertained all the time???

I have an 11 month old daughter that just wont play on her own or maybe in her case doesnt know how to play on her own. She has heaps of fantastic toys to play with, and will do so IF im sitting on the floor with her. If i get up tp leave the room she just looses the plot BIG TIME.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for me, im going INSANE!!!

Cheers
Fee
my daughter isn't that bad but she still will only play for mabey 10 mins on her own.
do you have a walker???
i pop lillie in hers with some toys and put her in the kitchen while im doing things,or i pop her in her pram propped up and push her to the laundry etc.
don't worry im actually probably in the same boat as you,is draining and time consuming,specially when there are things to be done!!!
xxx

Lillie....1 year old!!!

Hi Fiona I know what you are talking my daughter does the same thing and follows me everywhere and screams if she isnt with me.

My daughter is 9 months old and when I have to do things I let Jaye follow me and help me out and watch me doing things around the house but it doesnt always work.

Dont know if that help you act all but good luck and if you found out other way can you let me know about it thanks.

Chat soon

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

heya
i work im a qualified childcare worker so i see this all the time. smile i also have a gorgeous baby boy so he has gone thru this too.
my best advice is to offer a range of play toys for ur bub.....but not too many as this can over stimulate them. music is always great to crank up....obviously not to loud but loud enough to their attention. can u believe my bub is only 8 and a half months old but absolutly lovesssssss High 5 which is on telly at 3:30 weekdays...in perth that is.....he will sit there suking his thumb or stand holding onto the furniture and bop up n down ! haah its soo funni and cuteee.

change the play toys regulary so that your bub doesn't get bored with them ! i find that works well.
wen u do leave the room come bak regulary...play peek a boo wen u walk in.

Danni, WA,

I had to have a second child to get Ryan to play on his own LOL

Ryan was exactly as you described, wanted your attn all the time until he was almost 15mths old and his baby brother came along. WHen his baby brother arrived he just started playing on his own and now he will entertain himself for ages, even when I am free to play with him.

Not sure if it was his brother coming along that started it or if 'playing on their own' is something that comes with age??? Hopefully for your sake its the latter tongue

Sorry I didn't really give you any advice did I but I can sympathise

Jo

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

Hi Fee,

In two words BABY EINSTEIN!!! I'll explain this soon but firstly...

I have a very active 8mth old boy who used to be like your bubs. I think with age and a bit of luck thrown my way (for once with him) he is playing on his own longer now. When he was at his worst I had to pick him up as not even sitting with him whilst he played was enough.

I had heard about Baby Einstein DVD's and a friend of mine who had twins highly recommended the water DVD 'Baby Neptune', after she saw how ratty Connor was. She had it and her twins would sit silently for the 25mins DVD. She could confidently go for a shower, leave her twins etc.. knowing they wouldn't move a muscle.

It took three plays and Connor was hooked. So now I let him play until he is getting bored and agitated then I whack on a DVD (as I own the lot of them now, they are my at home baby sitters) and he sits content and mesmerized by the TV. It also teaches him things and has nice classical music behind them so they aren't annoying for Mum either - quite relaxing in fact.

Try them, you won't be disappointed. Connor has been watching the Baby Neptune one since he was 4.5months old even though it's recommended for 9+ months.

Big W sell them for only $15-$16 now, or you can borrow them from your library.

Good luck and let me know how you go.

Michelle,Connor,Jai 2/7/08

Sign in to follow this topic